Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 10 petitions you should sign this week, including Help Protect Lynx from Trophy Hunters in Sweden, Demand All States Ban Child Marriages Immediately, Help Shut Down Barbaric Slaughterhouse in Canada, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Help Save the Capybara
Source: BBC Earth/YouTube
Deforestation in the Amazon Rainforest is happening at an alarming rate. If it continues like this, the rainforest will become a savannah, and thousands of land mammals will lose their habitats. One of these animals is the capybara, the largest rodent in the world, whom are only found in South America. Please sign this petition to urge Congress to sign the FOREST Act, which will prohibit products linked to deforestation from entering the United States!
2. Help Protect Lynx from Trophy Hunters in Sweden
Source: Newsline World/YouTube
The Swedish government recently gave hunting licenses so hunters can kill hundreds of lynxes this spring. These animals are predicted to become “locally extinct” within the next few decades and yet the Swedish government is allowing these animals to be killed for no other reason than to be “trophies” on someone’s wall or floor, which is illegal inside the European Union but it may take a while for them to intervene. On top of this, these majestic creatures are often brutally killed by hunting dogs. Please sign this petition to urge Sweden to revoke these licenses and instead to measures in place to protect these vulnerable animals!
3. Demand All States Ban Child Marriages Immediately
Source: BBC News/YouTube
Did you know that child marriages are still legal in 20 states and that children can be married at any age as long as a waiver is signed? These kinds of marriages aren’t that uncommon either, as almost 300,000 children were married off in the United States between 2000 and 2018. On top of this, the marriage certificate proves a legal loophole that allows adults to engage in sexual activities with these children. Please sign this petition to demand all states ban child marriages immediately!
4. Tell Candace Owens That Fat-Shaming is Not OK
Source: Candace Owens Podcast/YouTube
Candace Owens, a conservative political commentator, believes that fat-shaming is a good thing and that it will help provoke a “desire to change.” While we should want people to take care of themselves and stay within a healthy weight range, it’s also important to have compassion. Shaming people for their bodies can lead to eating disorders and even suicidal ideation. Please sign this petition to urge Candance Owens to retract these potentially harmful words!
5. Tell CNN to Commit to Fair and Transparent Reporting on the Norfolk Southern Disaster
Source: The Hill/YouTube
Recently, one of CNN’s political commentators, David Urban, was engaged in a roundtable discussion on the Norfolk Southern train derailment. What wasn’t mentioned, however, was that Urban was a former lobbyist for Norfolk Southern and that some of the corporations that own CNN also own Norfolk Southern. It’s vitally important that this train derailment disaster must be reported accurately, especially for the victims of the affected communities. Please sign this petition to urge CNN to be more transparent and report on the facts of the Norfolk Southern disaster!
6. Help Shut Down Barbaric Slaughterhouse in Canada
Source: Animal Justice/YouTube
Undercover footage recently released of a slaughterhouse in British Colombia showed workers hitting and kicking animals, throwing them to the ground, striking them in the face with an electric prod, and more. On top of this, many animals appear to have not been properly stunned and are still conscious as they are being sliced open. A legal complaint has been filed against the slaughterhouse and an investigation is supposedly happening, but that will likely be a long process and no real changes may come from it. This slaughterhouse should never be trusted with animals again. Please sign this petition to demand authorities shut down Meadow Valley Meats!
7. Pressure Zoo in Pakistan to Send Neglected Elephants to a Wildlife Sanctuary
A 17-year-old African elephant has been partially immobilized and suffering at a zoo in Pakistan because she hasn’t received proper care. The elephant, Noor Jehan, and her companion have been cooped up in a tiny, barren enclosure for years where they haven’t been able to express many of their natural behaviors. Experts have assessed the elephants living conditions and concluded that they should be moved to a wildlife sanctuary for proper care, but the elephants have remained at the zoo. Please sign this petition to urge Karachi Zoo to send these elephants to Safari Park wildlife sanctuary!
8. Pressure Ecuadorian Authorities to Find Tortoise-Poachers
The Galapagos islands have over 2,000 species that can’t be found anywhere else in the world. Several of those species are giant tortoises, many of which are on the brink of extinction or are already extinct. Recently, four endangered turtle carcasses were found, likely murdered for their meat. Though this is illegal, poaching wildlife like this is not uncommon. Please sign this petition to pressure Ecuadorian authorities to find and prosecute the criminals responsible for this!
9. Demand Clemency for Rape Victim Who Killed Her Rapist
Source: NBC News/YouTube
Pieper Lewis escaped her abusive mother when she was 15 and was taken by a man who forced her to have sex with other men. A couple of years ago, Pieper was forced to have sex with a man who had raped her several times before. He raped her again, and when she woke up, she stabbed him. Lewis is now 17 and has been sentenced to five years of supervised probation and was ordered to $150,000 to the family of the man she killed. Please sign this petition to demand that the Governor of Iowa grant Pieper Lewis clemency!
10. Ask All States to Include Anti-Tethering Statutes in Their Animal Abuse Laws
One of the saddest sights is seeing a dog tethered outside, especially for long periods and in extreme weather conditions. Currently, only five states have language about weather in their anti-tethering laws, only 18 specify how long it’s ok to tether a dog, and only a few issue anything other than a small fine for not obeying the law. Tethering a dog is not only disrespectful but is also very dangerous as it can lead to them suffering in extreme weather conditions, getting tangled up, and choking on their chains. They are even susceptible to violence from people or other animals. Please sign this petition to ask every state to include anti-tethering statutes in their animal abuse laws!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!