Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 10 petitions you should sign this week, including Demand the Removal of Student Resource Officers from Schools, Urge the USDA to Ban Gas Chambers in Slaughterhouses, Pressure the EPA to Penalize Greedy Polluters in Louisiana, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Tell the USDA to Investigate Oregon Zoo’s Treatment of Elephants
Source: In Defense of Animals/YouTube
In Defense of Animals recently ranked the Oregon Zoo as the worst zoo for elephants in the country. The captive elephants there are isolated, have little room to move around, pace around repetitively, show signs of brain damage, and are bored and stressed. Elephants are intelligent and social creatures and keeping them captive is a surefire way to kill their spirits. Please sign this petition to urge the USDA to investigate this zoo and send all the elephants to sanctuaries!
2. Demand the Removal of Student Resource Officers from Schools
Source: WTVC NewsChannel9/YouTube
SROs, or student resource officers, are becoming more and more common in schools as school shootings have increased in recent years. However, there is no evidence to suggest that these law enforcement officials have done anything to prevent shootings and there have been many instances where they have committed violence against children. One of the more high-profile cases came from a school in East Tennessee where a kid was assaulted and pepper-sprayed because he didn’t want to play kickball in gym glass. Please sign this petition to demand the removal of student resource officers from Hamilton County District Schools!
3. Urge the United Nations to Address Antimicrobial Resistance
Source: 60 Minutes/YouTube
A recent study that was released by the United Nations discovered that up to 10 million people could die each year by 2050 because of antimicrobial resistance. These ‘superbugs’ are becoming more likely to develop because of polluting industries like animal agriculture and the pharmaceutical industry. Sadly, most of the people likely to be affected by this scenario are those who live in poor countries in the south. Please sign this petition to urge the United Nations to reform these industries before it’s too late!
4. Urge the USDA to Ban Gas Chambers in Slaughterhouses
Source: Deep Vegan/YouTube
Recent undercover footage from a slaughterhouse in Los Angeles showed the grim and brutal reality of killing pigs in gas chambers. These torture chambers cause pigs to violently convulse and feel like they are being burned from the inside out. The reason gassing pigs is so common is that it’s more efficient than electrical stunning and doesn’t require as much oversight. However, this method of stunning does not follow the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act. Please sign this petition to urge the USDA to ban gas chambers in slaughterhouses!
5. Pressure the EPA to Penalize Greedy Polluters in Louisiana
According to a recent study, Louisiana has the top eight water-polluting refineries in the country. Millions of gallons of heavy metals and toxic sludge are being dumped in public waterways in the state. The EPA has the authority to enforce these environmental crimes through the Clean Water Act but hasn’t been doing so. Please sign this petition to pressure the EPA to penalize greedy polluters in Louisiana!
6. Tell Spain’s Government to Protect Hunting Dogs
Spain’s parliament recently passed a major animal rights bill that will ban the sale of pets in pet shops, turn zoos into wildlife rehabilitation centers, and give prison time to animal abusers. However, the bill left out protections for hunting dogs, who are some of the most abused and neglected animals in the country. Thousands of these dogs live in tiny frozen kennels, have to lay in their own feces, and don’t have access to clean water. Then, after the hunting season is over, their humans often abandon or brutally murder them if they don’t perform well. Please sign this petition to demand that Spain’s government include hunting dogs in the bill!
7. Help Make Sure This Sadistic Animal-Abuser is Never Allowed Near Animals Again
Source: News 12/YouTube
Raymond Neuberger, a former town official from Fairfield, Connecticut, was recently arrested and then released on bail following allegations that he intentionally gave his girlfriend’s cat chemical burns. This sadistic man has tortured, abused, and murdered five of his partner’s animal companions over the years. He has broken several of a dog’s ribs, poured boiling water on another dog, given such bad chemical burns to a cat that you could see her muscle and she had to have her tail amputated, and murdered another cat. Please sign this petition to help make sure this man is never allowed to be near animals again!
8. Call on Tennessee to Accept Federal Funds for HIV Treatment
Source: NBC News/YouTube
Politicians in Tennessee have recently decided that they will stop accepting federal funds for HIV treatment and prevention programs. It’s very unusual that a state would reject federal funds for a project and many people are worried about how the new program will operate once the funding runs out. Those who are queer and people of color are those most at risk for a program that still has no plans for how or even if it will operate. Please sign this petition to urge Tennesse legislators to accept federal funds for HIV treatment!
9. Urge EPA to Ban Non-Essential Use of PFAS
Source: DW Planet A/YouTube
The European Union is currently considering a ban on 10,000 PFAS, or “forever chemicals”, and is pushing for alternatives to take their place. In the United States, however, PFAS are still very pervasive as one freshwater fish contains around a month of PFA-contaminated drinking water. On top of that, while we know PFAS are toxic, we still don’t know the full extent of their dangers because many PFAS weren’t tested sufficiently before approval. Please sign this petition to urge the EPA to ban the non-essential use of PFAS!
10. Tell Kylie Jenner to Atone for Glamorizing Animal Abuse
Source: E! News/YouTube
Kylie Jenner recently wore a life-size fake lion’s head on her dress to Paris Fashion week. Carrying around the replicated head of a decapitated animal is glorifying animal cruelty for a fashion statement. Using animals for fashion is finally beginning to recede and we don’t need people disrespecting already vulnerable wildlife so they can somehow seem more glamorous. Please sign this petition to demand that Kylie Jenner apologize for her actions and use her considerable wealth to donate to wildlife organizations!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!