Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 12 petitions you should sign this week, including Demand Authorities Enforce Animal Protection Laws in Great Britain, Urge Congress to End the Ticketmaster Monopoly, Pressure the EPA to Ban Harmful Weedkiller in the United States, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Pledge to Wear a Mask in Indoor Spaces in Canada
Source: CBC News: The National/YouTube
Covid, flu cases, a new virus, and staff shortages have contributed to healthcare facilities across Canada being overwhelmed with sick children. Half of the flu cases in Canada have affected children and teenagers, and many healthcare professionals believe wearing masks in indoor settings can help slow this surge. Please sign this petition to pledge to wear a mask!
2. Make Sure this Animal Abuser is Never Allowed to Have Animals Again
A man in Tennessee was accumulating many animals on his property. One day he decided to leave and abandoned them while he went to stay with a friend. More than two weeks later a neighbor noticed the desperate barks and smell of rotting corpses and notified authorities. On arrival, they found many animals who were decomposing and rotting. Four animals miraculously survived but they were in terrible shape. Please sign this petition to demand that this man never be allowed to have animals again!
3. Call for an Investigation into Jeff Bezos for Violating Worker’s Rights
Source: FOX 13 Seattle/YouTube
Jeff Bezos is currently being sued by former housekeepers for “unsafe and unhealthy work conditions.” The workers allegedly had to work 14 hours at a time with no breaks and without an accessible bathroom. On top of this, they allegedly developed urinary tract infections from not being able to use the bathroom. Please sign this petition to call for an investigation of Bezos for violating Seattle’s Domestic Workers Bill of Rights!
4. Urge the EU and the US to Rescue Lions in Ukraine
Source: NBC News/YouTube
As always, animals are been overlooked in times of war. Although four lion cubs and a black leopard were rescued last month in Ukraine and brought to Poland, there are still hundreds of lions who need saving. The situation is made even more complicated because many private citizens have irresponsibly bought and brought big cats into their homes, where they are now trapped. Please sign this petition to urge the EU and the US to use their resources to rescue the remaining lions!
5. Tell the Department of Justice to Charge Trump for His role in the Insurrection
Donald Trump recently announced that he’ll be running for President again in 2024. Trump is currently under investigation by the FBI and disgraced the country when he helped incite an insurrection in the U.S. Capitol. This twice-impeached former President seems to have conveniently timed his announcement considering the current investigations against him. Please sign this petition to pressure the Department of Justice to finally charge Trump for his role in the insurrection!
6. Ask the Canadian Parliament to Institute a National Animal Cruelty Hotline
Reporting animal cruelty in Canada can be a complicated and arduous process. Even though animal cruelty is outlawed on a federal level for domestic animals there are many different agencies responsible for dealing with animal cruelty reports, all of which work at different times and exist in different areas. Please sign this petition to urge the Canadian Parliament to institute a national animal cruelty hotline to make saving animals easier!
7. Demand Authorities Enforce Animal Protection Laws in Great Britain
A new report has revealed extensive non-compliance with animal testing and animal protection laws in Great Britain. Some of these horrific stories include rats being needlessly crushed to death by a trash compactor, a primate who died after becoming trapped by a restraint device, and hundreds of fish suffocating to death in their tank that had been drained of water. On top of this, almost a quarter of these cases occurred because animals were not given food or water. Please sign this petition to demand the authorities enforce these laws!
8. Urge Congress to End the Ticketmaster Monopoly
Source: PBS NewsHour/YouTube
Ticketmaster is a massive company and was made even more massive when it merged with Live Nation in 2010. Since then, customers have been dealing with tremendous price-gouging from this company that has a monopoly on the industry. During the pandemic, ticket prices increased by as much as 75% and tickets for a Taylor Swift concert were recently selling for more than $8,000. Please sign this petition to urge the government to end Congress to help end this monopoly!
9. Call on Authorities to Bolster Protections for Elephants in Africa
A beloved elephant named Dida, who may be the largest female tusker in Africa, recently passed away. She lived in a National Park in Kenya and was believed to be in her 60s. Sadly, most elephants don’t get to live nearly that long because of poaching. Up to 100 African elephants are murdered every day, according to estimates, and tusker elephants are especially prized because of their large tusks. Please sign this petition to urge authorities to bolster protections for all elephants so they can live long lives!
10. Tell the U.S. Government to Codify the Indian Child Welfare Act into Law
Source: PBS NewsHour/YouTube
The Indian Child Welfare Act was created more than forty years ago to help place Native American children with extended family, members of their tribe, or other Native families in the adoption process. This helps keep them connected with their culture and retain some continuity. Unfortunately, a small group of people is hoping to eradicate these protections. Please sign this petition to urge the U.S. government to codify the ICWA into law!
11. Pressure the EPA to Ban Harmful Weedkiller in the United States
Source: The Ring of Fire/YouTube
A weedkiller called paraquat has been all over the world because of public health concerns, yet it is still legal to use in the United States. Research has shown this chemical is linked to Parkinson’s disease and it’s been banned by the entire European Union. On top of this, the company that produces paraquat has created misleading to try and cover up the damage this chemical has caused. Please sign this petition to urge the EPA to ban paraquat use in the United States!
12. Demand SeaWorld End Its Dolphin Shows and Send Them to a Sanctuary
SeaWorld has been abusing marine animals for years and a recent incident has brought them into the spotlight once again. During a live show, a group of dolphins attacked an individual dolphin until they were bleeding and forced to retreat to the side of their enclosure. In the wild, the dolphin may be able to get away from their attackers, but in SeaWorld, they are trapped and have nowhere to go. The emotional, physical, and mental anguish of living in this type of environment is sickening. Please sign this petition to pressure SeaWorld to end its dolphin shows and send them to a sanctuary!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!