Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Unfortunately, the world is not a very peaceful or safe place for many individuals. From conflict to abuse to exploitation, there is so much cruelty inflicted on both humans and animals. While this can get disheartening and difficult to hear about, petitions are a great way to use your voice for good. Just by signing one, you are a part of helping those who are not treated fairly. You can even share them with your friends and acquaintances to increase your impact.
Through petitions, we can reach those in power and demand justice for others. They are valuable tools for making positive changes in the world. If you are looking for a way to help animals and humans, here are 8 petitions you should sign this week, including Ask Petco and PetSmart to Stop Selling Birds, Demand Captive Bears Be Released to a Sanctuary, Help Shut Down Zoo Where Three Chimpanzees Were Murdered, and More!
We want to thank you for being the change you wish to see in the world and giving a voice to the voiceless.
1. Urge Singapore Authorities to Mandate Counseling for Animal-Abusing Child
A boy in Singapore has become the subject of outrage after a video of him throwing a cat out of a 22nd-story window surfaced. The cat, named Panther, was beloved by neighbors. Locals and people from around the world are calling for harsh punishment for the boy. Some want to see him go to jail for up to a year and a half. However, there is no evidence to suggest that putting this boy behind bars will stop him from hurting animals in the future. What he needs is therapy and counseling to help him see what he did was wrong. Please sign this petition to urge Singapore authorities to mandate counseling for this troubled child!
2. Tell the Department of Transportation to Prioritize a Passenger Rail System
This holiday season, many people in the United States were faced with their flights being canceled or roads being closed. On top of that, cars and planes aren’t sustainable forms of transportation, and car accidents have accounted for more American deaths than both World Wars combined. Many industrialized countries have a reliable and comprehensive rail system, yet our infrastructure seems to mostly Support cars. Please sign this petition to urge the Secretary of Transportation to revamp and construct rail infrastructure!
3. Ask Petco and PetSmart to Stop Selling Birds
Petco and PetSmart have stopped selling dogs, cats, rabbits, and large birds for ethical reasons, yet they are continuing to sell smaller captive birds. These intelligent and social creatures are unable to express their natural behaviors and are often kept in a cage their whole lives, released and unable to survive in the wild, or abandoned at overcrowded shelters. On top of that, these stores don’t have the resources to screen or educate buyers. Please sign this petition to call on their CEOs to finally stop selling birds!
4. Call on Congress to Help Developing Nations Protect Against Climate change
Source: CNBC International/YouTube
In recent years, the United States has been responsible for producing approximately 11% of global carbon emissions. Biden promised to give around $12 billion to developing nations to Support their climate response. After all, these nations have a tiny carbon footprint compared to the United States, yet often suffer the worst impacts of Climate change. However, the Senate just approved a package that would send less than a billion dollars to these countries. Please sign this petition to urge Congress to increase the amount of money that is being given to these countries!
5. Demand Captive Bears Be Released to a Sanctuary
Two Asiatic Bears are being held captive at Three Bears General Store in Tennessee. The owner of the store states that the bears have been saved from a “kill farm” but seems to have no problem exploiting the bears for profit from tourists. The store has huge LED signs advertising the bears and the bears live in a tiny enclosure where customers can watch them from observation decks and throw them food. Three bears have already died at this general store and the others need to be saved immediately before they experience the same fate. Please sign this petition to demand that the Owner of Three Bears General Store release these bears to a sanctuary!
6. Tell Kenya’s President to Help Stop Police Killings
Source: VICE News/YouTube
The Yala River in western Kenya has been dubbed “the river of death” because of how often bodies are found in it. Recently, three more bodies were found and it seems like the police are to blame. A report discovered that there were 219 cases of police killings in 2021 and many of the victims appeared to have been tortured beforehand. The family members of the victims are urging authorities to do something about this, but they need our Support too. Please sign this petition to tell Kenya’s President to invest resources into stopping these killings!
7. Pressure the UK Parliament to Ban the Trading of Hippo Teeth
The UK Ivory Act and other measures have been incredibly important as elephant ivory is now almost banned around the world. Elephants are an endangered species so this was a very crucial victory for them and the people who care about them. However, poachers are now killing hippos to collect their teeth in response. Hippos are listed as “vulnerable to extinction” and measures must be made to protect them as well. Please sign this petition to demand that the UK Parliament ban the trading of hippo teeth!
8. Help Shut Down Zoo Where Three Chimpanzees Were Murdered
Source: Vegan FTA/YouTube
Five chimpanzees escaped from a zoo in Sweden and three of them were murdered. The “wildlife park” claimed it was necessary to “protect lives.” Zoos exist so human beings can be entertained and make a profit. Animals don’t want to live in tiny enclosures and be gawked at by humans all day. However, this park seems especially unequipped to take care of animals. Please sign this petition to help shut down this “wildlife park” for good!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in typical household and personal care products!