Harry Styles has been awarded as one of the winners of PETA’s Libby Awards after he went viral for declining a fan’s offering of chicken nuggets.
In the viral clip, Styles is performing at Madison Square Garden when a fan throws chicken nuggets at him. He stops and talks to the fans and asks who threw the chicken nuggets.
“I don’t eat chicken, sorry. I don’t eat meat,” Harry tells his fans before throwing it back for them.
The Libby Awards, short for “liberation, is given out by PETA’s youth division. The award recognizes the individuals, brands, and products that go above and beyond for animals. For this award, Styles won “Best Viral Moment for Animals” for rejecting a chicken nugget.
“Each person inspired to go vegan by the superstar will save the lives of nearly 200 animals per year,” PETA said in their announcement.
The other winners of the award were Daisy Ridley, who sent a letter to the University of Massachusetts calling for an end to experiments conducted on marmosets, and Nicola Peltz Beckham, who advocated for animal adoption on Instagram.
“These compassionate celebrities prove that helping animals can be as simple as leaving chickens off their plates, speaking out against cruel experimentation, or adopting from shelters,” says PETA Senior Vice President Lisa Lange. “It’s a ‘Sign of the Times’ that these entertainers and influencers are advocating for animals, and PETA is honoring Harry, Daisy, and Nicola for leading by example.”
The other nominees for 2022 included Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker, Bella Hadid, the Jonas Brothers, Hailey Bieber, Jimmy Fallon, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Drew Barrymore, and Janel Parrish.
- PETA’s Oscat Awards Goes to these Amazing Animal-Friendly Movies from 2019
- PETA Announces $1M Competition to Find Vegan Wool Alternative
- PETA Artist Creates Illustrations of Disney Dogs as Neglected Pets to Raise Awareness About Animal Abuse
- PETA Calls Channel 4 to Stop Airing Crufts Dog Show Because ‘No One Should Celebrate this Grotesque Charade’
- Billie Eilish Becomes PETA’s Person of the Year
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!