President-elect Joe Biden has announced an all-female senior White House communications team as he looks to fulfill his campaign promise of building a diverse administration and cabinet.
“I am proud to announce today the first senior White House communications team comprised entirely of women. These qualified, experienced communicators bring diverse perspectives to their work and a shared commitment to building this country back better,” Biden said in a statement.
- Jen Psaki will serve as press secretary. She had previously worked as the communications director for the Obama administration and as a CNN political commentator.
- Kate Bedingfield will serve as White House communications director. She was the deputy campaign manager and communications director for Biden and Kamala Harris’ campaign.
- Pili Tobar will serve as deputy White House communications director. Principal Deputy Press Secretary duties will be performed by Karine Jean-Pierre.
- Symone Sanders will serve as the senior adviser and chief spokesperson for Harris.
- Ashley Etienne will serve as the Vice President’s Principal Deputy Press Secretary.
- Elizabeth Alexander will serve as the Communications Director for the first lady.
“Our country is facing unprecedented challenges — from the coronavirus pandemic to the economic crisis, to the climate crisis, and a long-overdue reckoning over racial injustice. To overcome these challenges, we need to communicate clearly, honestly, and transparently with the American people, and this experienced, talented, and barrier-shattering team will help us do that. These communications professionals express our commitment to building a White House that reflects the very best of our nation,” Harris said in a statement.
Biden has said that he wants his administration and cabinet to “look like America.”
“My administration’s going to look like America, not just my staff, the administration from the vice president straight down through Cabinet members to major players within the White House, and the court,” Biden said this summer.
“It’s going to be a reflection of who we are as a nation.”
Biden’s transition team, which consists of over 500 people, also reflects a commitment to diversity. 52% of his transition team are women and 46% are people of color.
“For months, the Biden-Harris transition has laid the groundwork for a Biden-Harris administration, and at the core of that work is an unrelenting commitment to diversity,” said co-chair of the Biden-Harris transition team, Ted Kaufman.
Sign this petition to ask Joe Biden to re-join the Paris Climate Accords.
- John Kerry Chosen as Climate Envoy for Biden Administration
- Biden and Bolsonaro Face Off Over Climate Change
- Biden to Implement 10 Major Climate-Related Executive Actions on Day One in Office
- Biden’s Upcoming Health Care Changes Will Contrast with President Trump’s
- Biden’s Plans to Rejoin Paris Climate Agreement and WHO
- 10 Major Environmental Rollbacks Made by Trump That Harm Animals (and Should be Reversed by Biden-Harris)
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!