As reported by CNN, 2020, the year of the pandemic, has the highest recorded levels of stress, sadness, anxiety, and anger in adults worldwide. The Gallup’s 2021 Global Emotions Index recorded that stress levels saw the highest increase. Worldwide, 40 percent of adults were stressed “a lot of the previous day.” This is the highest it’s been in 15 years.
Mothers, particularly those with children at home experienced the highest levels of stress, anger, worry, and sadness.
Out of the 116 countries surveyed, half saw spikes in stress, along with “double-digit increases in stress in 21 countries.” Compared to 2019, nearly 190 million more individuals dealt with extreme stress the year of the pandemic.
Along with the fatalities and illness of COVID-19, financial stress also played a huge factor in the increase in negative emotions. “In all, 80% of people said COVID-19 affected them in some way,” wrote Gallup’s global managing partner, Jon Clifton, in the survey’s opening statement.
Out of all the countries, Peru had the highest levels of stress for the year, and Kyrgyzstan had the lowest stress levels. “Many countries that report high-income inequality also happen to be the countries that report a lot of negative emotions, such as anger,” continued Clifton.
However, the positive emotion index showed that the global population was generally successful at maintaining positive emotions, apart from laughing and smiling.
Some of the tips that UCS healthcare recommends for decreasing mom-stress include splitting up household chores, setting more boundaries, scheduling alone time, and asking for help from others.
Check out some of our resources for reducing stress levels:
- How to Improve Sleep Habits and Handle Pandemic-Related Insomnia
- Stressed Out? These 5 Plant-Based Foods Can Help!
- Stress Less: 6 Ways to Lower Stress When You’re Overwhelmed
- 15 Plant-Based Recipes That Help Naturally Relieve Stress
- 8 Vegan Magnesium-Rich Lotions to Manage Anxiety, Reduce Stress, and Get Better Sleep
- Understanding Stress: Tips and Plant-Based Foods to Unwind
- 10 Plant-Based Adaptogenic Teas to Reduce Stress and Provide Calm
- How to Reduce Your Cortisol and Kiss Your Morning Stress Goodbye!
- 10 Simple Ways to Bring Mindfulness into Your Life Now
- Stressed? Do These 3 Things to Quickly Let Off Steam the Natural Way
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!