These are the perfect warm weather treats for coffee and chocolate aficionados. With the classic combo of cocoa and espresso, these vegan ice cream sandwiches are sure to give you a nice pick-me-up while letting you keep your cool.
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups vegan margarine
- 1 3/4 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- Whisk together all ingredients vigorously until sugar has completely dissolved (warm mixture gently in a small pan over low heat if necessary to get all sugar granules to disappear).
- Let mixture chill in fridge until all ingredients are cold.
- Place mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Don’t let the ice cream freeze too long after it has finished in the ice cream maker, as you want the ice cream to be semi-soft for assembling your sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in prepared flaxseed meal and mix well.
- In separate mixing bowl, sift together salt, cocoa powder, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, xanthan gum and espresso powder.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients with wet ingredients until all is very well combined. Continue mixing until dough clumps together.
- Form into two disks and chill until very cold, about two hours in fridge, or thirty minutes in your freezer.
- Once dough has thoroughly chilled, roll out one disk (using a lightly floured rolling pin) so that the dough us about 1/3 of an inch thick.
- Use the top of a glass, or a round cookie cutter to cut out circle shapes.
- Place about 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and do not disturb the cookies until they are fully cooled.
- Repeat with the rest of your dough until all has been rolled, cut out and baked.
- Chill baked cookies in fridge briefly until cold (if they are even slightly warm, they will cause the ice cream to melt!), and then pile ice cream (about 1/3 cup) onto one cookie and squish down gently with another cookie to make a sandwich. Dip sides into sprinkles if desired.
- Freeze about 2 hours or until sandwich firms up. These are best if they're eaten the same day as making them.