These are the perfect warm weather treats for coffee and chocolate aficionados. With the classic combo of cocoa and espresso, these vegan ice cream sandwiches are sure to give you a nice pick-me-up while letting you keep your cool.
Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups vegan margarine
- 1 3/4 cups organic granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
How to Prepare Mocha Ice Cream Sandwiches [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Whisk together all ingredients vigorously until sugar has completely dissolved (warm mixture gently in a small pan over low heat if necessary to get all sugar granules to disappear).
- Let mixture chill in fridge until all ingredients are cold.
- Place mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Don’t let the ice cream freeze too long after it has finished in the ice cream maker, as you want the ice cream to be semi-soft for assembling your sandwiches.
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in prepared flaxseed meal and mix well.
- In separate mixing bowl, sift together salt, cocoa powder, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, xanthan gum and espresso powder.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients with wet ingredients until all is very well combined. Continue mixing until dough clumps together.
- Form into two disks and chill until very cold, about two hours in fridge, or thirty minutes in your freezer.
- Once dough has thoroughly chilled, roll out one disk (using a lightly floured rolling pin) so that the dough us about 1/3 of an inch thick.
- Use the top of a glass, or a round cookie cutter to cut out circle shapes.
- Place about 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake 9-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and do not disturb the cookies until they are fully cooled.
- Repeat with the rest of your dough until all has been rolled, cut out and baked.
- Chill baked cookies in fridge briefly until cold (if they are even slightly warm, they will cause the ice cream to melt!), and then pile ice cream (about 1/3 cup) onto one cookie and squish down gently with another cookie to make a sandwich. Dip sides into sprinkles if desired.
- Freeze about 2 hours or until sandwich firms up. These are best if they're eaten the same day as making them.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.