In this episode, I speak with ultra-endurance athlete and full-time wellness and plant-based nutrition advocate, Rich Roll.
About Rich Roll
Rich is a 50-year old, accomplished vegan ultra-endurance athlete and former entertainment attorney turned full-time wellness and plant-based nutrition advocate, popular public speaker, husband, father of four and inspiration to people worldwide as a transformative example of courageous and healthy living.
He is the bestselling author of Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself, and host of Rich Roll Podcast, which persistently sits atop the iTunes top-10 lists.
In addition, Rich has been a top finisher at the 2008 and 2009 Ultraman World Championships in Hawaii. Rich’s plant-fueled feats of boundary-pushing athleticism have been featured on CNN and major publications including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times Sunday Magazine, The Huffington Post, Stanford Magazine, Men’s Health Living, VegNews, Triathlete, Outside, 3/GO Magazine and Men’s Fitness Magazine, which named Rich as one of the “25 Fittest Men in the World.”
Why You Should Listen
Rich Roll is an ultra-endurance athlete and full-time wellness and plant-based nutrition advocate. If you are familiar with the world of plant-based lifestyle and wellness, chances are you have heard Rich’s popular podcast and maybe even read his book, Finding Ultra. If you have, then you know Rich is a pretty incredible individual with a fascinating life story.
In this conversation, Rich and I talk about:
- The dangers of food tribalism and the superficial divides between good food advocates who all generally want the same things: to improve their health and help the environment.
- His views on the best way to eat and what he does to fuel his performance.
- His thoughts on how to build an authentic brand and the importance of integrity to reach people today.
- Lessons entrepreneurs in the food space can use to help establish their individuality and voice.
We also get into Rich’s backstory and he shares in-depth details about how he went from being a high-powered entertainment attorney to the brink of bankruptcy after he gave up his career to find his passion. He shares the struggles he and his family had to overcome to get to the point of success he has reached today and discusses what helped him get through it all.
People/Companies/Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Rich Roll Podcast
- The Plantpower Way: Whole Food Plant-Based Recipes and Guidance for The Whole Family by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt
- This Cheese is Nuts by Julie Piatt
- Julie Piatt
- The Plantpower Way: Italia: Delicious Vegan Recipes from the Italian Countryside by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt
- Finding Ultra by Rich Roll
- Ray Cronise and Julieanna Hever
- Presto by Penn Jillette
- Joe Rogan
- Michael Pollan
- Scott Jurek
#EatForThePlanet With Nil Zacharias Podcast Links