As deforestation continues in the Amazon rainforest, a heartwrenching new video shows the scale of deforestation in the area. YouTube channel Planet posted a video that shows the rate of deforestation between May 2017 and September 2020.
According to data from Brazilian government space agency INPE, deforestation has been decreasing the past three months and is down 10% compared to 2019. However, the scale of deforestation over the past three years is incredible. But, September 2020 was still the 7th highest month of deforestation recorded. And it was also higher than any month prior to Bolsonaro’s inauguration.
“The deforestation numbers continue to be terrible and unacceptable,” said Marcio Astrini of the Climate Observatory NGO in WIO news, “Everything that brought us to this scenario of environmental chaos, of uncontrolled deforestation and crime taking hold in the Amazon continues to exist,” he said.
See the video, below:
Read more about the Amazon and deforestation in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Amazon Rainforest is Now Emitting More Carbon Dioxide than it Absorbs
- 7 Companies Working to End Deforestation
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- The Impact of Deforestation and The Importance of Trees
- These Shocking Photos of the Disappearing Amazon Because of Meat Consumption
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- Walmart, Costco, Target, McDonalds and More! Companies Linked to Promoting Amazon Deforestation
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!