These new ice straws by The Ice Guys keep your drink chilled while also fighting single-use plastic pollution.
There are many reusable straw replacements, such as ones made from aluminum, silicone, or stainless steel. But now, the Ice Guys have a solution that could reimagine what we think of as a straw. The Ice Straws last long enough for you to finish your drink and leave behind no waste.
The product is water that is frozen in a silicone mold, which comes in three different sizes for your drink needs. They even have a size that is large enough to use for boba.
The Ice Guys claim that you can pre-freeze them in the silicone mold, take them out, and keep them in the freezer, where they will be ready whenever you need a straw.
The Ice Guys are seeking funding for the Ice Straw on Kickstarter, where they’ve already raised over $45,000.
To learn more about the Ice Straw, check out their Kickstarter!
Thankfully, many places and companies are banning single-use plastics. Globally, we produce 300 million tons of plastic every year, 78 percent of which is NOT reclaimed or recycled. Around 8.8 million tons of plastic get dumped into the oceans every year! 700 marine animals are faced with extinction due to the threat that plastic poses to them in the form of entanglement, pollution, and ingestion. 50 percent of sea turtles have plastic in their stomachs. By 2050, 99 percent of all seabird species will have ingested plastic waste. According to a study by the World Economic Forum, there will be one tonne of plastic for every three tonnes of fish by 2025, and if things go on business as usual, there will be more plastic in the ocean than fish by 2050.
Read more about how companies like Facebook, Tupperware, Google, Dove, Budweiser, Carlsberg, and FIJI Water are working towards reducing plastic pollution. Places around the world like Tel Aviv, California, Baltimore, Scotland, and many more are banning various single-use plastics, and others are coming up with creative ways to recycle and use plastic waste.
- Oregon is Banning Plastic Bags and Straws!
- Plastic Straws, Stirrers, and Cotton Buds are Now Banned in England!
- Whole Foods is Eliminating Plastic Straws From All Stores!
- The European Parliament Just Approved a Ban on Plastic Plates, Cutlery, Straws, Stirrers, and Cotton Swabs!
- Virgin Australia Airlines to Ban Plastic Straws and Stirrers!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!