Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
A global switch from laser to inkjet printers could almost cut in half the emissions from printing from current levels by 2025, according to a new report. The new research suggests that China could make the biggest total contribution to cutting global printing emissions.
The report by Japanese printing giant Epson and Dr. Tim Forman of the University of Cambridge found that if a transition were to happen, the world as a whole could save more than 2,240GWh worth of electricity annually. The reduction in greenhouse gas emissions would be equivalent to the amount generated by over 280,000 cars on the roads over a year.
According to the data, researchers believe that making the switch to inkjet printers would slash energy emissions from printing to 52.6 percent of current levels. The research emphasized the potential environmental impact if we do not meet the goal of achieving net zero emissions by 2050.
If you need to purchase a printer, remember to always choose inkjet printers over laser!
Remember, the single most impactful action an individual can take is choosing to eat more plant-based foods. A 2021 study found that global greenhouse gas emissions from animal-based foods are twice those of plant-based foods, while the IPCC’s sixth assessment report, entitled Mitigation of Climate change, supports a shift to vegan diets (rich in pulses, nuts, fruits, and vegetables, and devoid of any animal-derived product) as it could reduce food-related GHG emissions by 29 percent (estimated at 6.5 GtCO2e).
- Climate Club: Facebook Teams Up With New Tool To Help Employees Track Their Emissions
- Huge Surge in Carbon Emissions in Amazon Linked to Lack of Law Enforcement, New Study Finds
- Amtrak Pledges Net-Zero Emissions by 2045
- How Reducing Light Pollution Can Cut Down Carbon Emissions and Protect Biodiversity
- Village in China Known as Christmas Town Turns off Lights to Avoid Emissions
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!