Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Imagine a world where your car runs on the power of sunlight, much like how plants fuel themselves through photosynthesis. Researchers from the University of Cambridge are making this sustainable dream a reality, developing an ‘artificial leaf’ capable of harnessing sunlight to transform water and carbon dioxide into low-emissions fuels. So, prepare to rev up your engines; sunshine is about to power your next ride!
Source: RAZOR Science Show/Youtube
This eco-innovation mirrors photosynthesis, where plants convert sunlight, water, and carbon dioxide into energy sources. Similarly, when submerged in CO2-infused water and exposed to sunlight, the artificial leaf triggers a reaction to produce green fuels like ethanol and propanol. Excitingly, in the not-too-distant future, this technology might be integrated into vehicles, allowing them to have energy on the go, utilizing the sunlight, CO2, and water vapor around them.
The ‘artificial leaf‘ isn’t just a leafy moniker; it’s a complex marvel engineered from multiple layers of materials, including copper, glass, silver, and graphite. Inside it, you’ll find a particular catalyst made from copper and palladium. This catalyst, functioning like chlorophyll in real leaves, facilitates the conversion of CO2 and water into ethanol, propanol, and oxygen under sunlight.
“The creation of liquid fuel from sunlight, carbon dioxide, and water using our artificial leaf represents a significant stride in chemistry,” said study author Dr. Motiar Rahaman.
Notably, this technology’s ethanol offers a more sustainable alternative to fossil fuel-based petrol. Though ethanol is currently made from biomass like corn or sugarcane, the artificial leaf provides a greener solution, bypassing the need for agricultural land use, which could otherwise be dedicated to food production.
Despite being a proof of concept, the artificial leaf holds immense promise for the future. As study author Professor Erwin Reisner notes, the technology signifies that we can go beyond creating essential molecules and start generating directly valuable substances for our transition from fossil fuels.
The road to a sustainable future is paved with innovations like these. It’s time we shift gears towards eco-friendly alternatives and drive away from fossil fuels. Your next car could be powered by the same energy that grows the trees lining your favorite roads, and together we can accelerate towards a cleaner, greener future. Let’s Support these cutting-edge technologies and fuel the drive toward sustainability. Get ready; the sunshine might power your next ride!
- EU Makes Bold Move to Zero Emissions: All New Cars Sold Must be Green by 2035
- This Abandoned Dog Spent Her Days Running From Cars – Now Look at Her! [Video]
- Top Source of Oil Pollution in the Ocean is Our Cars, New Report Finds
- Petition: Urge These Two States to Allow Good Samaritans to Save Animals from Hot Cars
- France Giving Citizens €4,000 to Ditch Their Cars for Electric Bikes
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!