Russian shelling has destroyed five million acres of forest in Ukraine in less than six months, according to the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
Source: Sky News/YouTube
During the COP27 climate summit, the Ukrainian president addressed world leaders in a video, saying that the war and Putin are disrupting global climate action. The war is “destroying the world’s ability to work united for a common goal”, the Ukrainian president said in the video. He added that there is no effective climate policy without peace on Earth.
He said, “the world is on the brink” and “there can be no effective climate policy without peace.”
He added that the war in Ukraine has forced nations to “resume coal-fired power generation in order to lower energy prices”.
The Russian delegation reportedly told Sky News that an energy crisis was brewing before its “special operation” in Ukraine.
Many talks at COP27 have been surrounding fossil fuels as global leaders emphasize the importance of moving away from dirty energy.
“The clock is ticking,” UN chief Antonio Guterres said. “Greenhouse gas emissions keep growing, global temperatures keep rising, and our planet is fast approaching the tipping point that will make climate chaos irreversible. We are on a highway to climate hell with our foot still on the accelerator.”
Massive transitions toward green energy are long overdue, and the atrocities we are witnessing in Ukraine are just one more example of that. Sign this petition to demand the United States and European Union heavily invest in wind and solar to increase energy independence and national security!
What can you do to help? Many organizations are helping Ukraine and the families affected by this unjust invasion. Here are 10 Ways to Help People and Animals in Ukraine.
- Russian Attack on Ukraine Left Millions of People Without Power or Water
- Russian Invasion Destroyed Almost All Wind Power Capacity in Ukraine
- Ukraine to Seek Compensation For Environmental Damage Due to Russian Invasion
- Renewable Energy Receives Big Investments in Light of Ukraine War
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!