A new report by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (ATP) has found that the largest dairy companies in the world have the same combined greenhouse gas emissions as Florida. Large dairy farms are notorious for their emissions, as well as their impact on smaller farms.
Florida has the third-largest population in the United States, to put the emissions into perspective. Despite the waning business operations of dairy farms and following the Paris Climate agreement in 2015, dairy farms have increased emissions by 11%. Over 90% of dairy emissions are produced by cows, in the form of methane. Plant-based milk has much lower emissions than dairy milk.
Watch this video on reducing methane emissions from dairy farms:
Michael Webermann, US Director of ProVeg International said in an emailed statement, “This report brings to light the true environmental cost of dairy, which is far from the innocent by-product so many people believe it to be. On the contrary, the dairy industry is highly destructive. Unlike the fossil fuel industry, there is currently very little scrutiny to hold global dairy companies to account for their emissions, and very few companies are even reporting their emissions, which is a major problem. If we want to make real progress on climate change and lower greenhouse gas emissions, we need to take swift action to curb the emissions from dairy as well as meat. The USDA must overhaul the subsidy and bailout system that continues to perpetuate an environmentally destructive model of agriculture.”
- Dairy Butter Emissions are Three Times Worse for the Planet than Plant-Based Spreads
- How Milk Leads to the Destruction of the Environment
- Meat Free in 2020! You Won’t Believe Cows Emissions Contributions
- Is Organic Meat and Dairy Really the Best Option for the Planet?
- Research Shows No Matter Which Plant-Based Milk You Try, It Will Always Be More Environmentally-Friendly Than Dairy
- ilk Life? How About Milk Destruction: The Shocking Truth About the Dairy Industry and the Environment
- How the Dairy Industry Has Unnaturally Altered the Life of Cows
- Here’s How the Dairy Industry Tricked Us Into Thinking We Needed Milk (VIDEO
- New Report Provides Alarming Facts About Meat and Dairy Production
- Think Dairy Cows Are Happy Cows? This Photo Will Change Your Mind
- Chilling Image Reminds Us What Life Is Really Like for Cows on Dairy Farms
- Cows No Different Than Cats or Dogs (VIDEO)
Learn How to Cook Plant-Based Meals at Home
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
For those of you interested in eating more plant-based, we highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!