Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
With reduced air pollution thanks to reduced manufacturing and travel, bees have felt the positive effects. In areas with lower air Pollution, bees make shorter trips and are better able to rear their young, according to Mark Brown, professor of evolutionary ecology at Royal Holloway, University of London. Fewer cars also mean fewer deaths for bees. In North America every year, 24 billion bees and wasps are killed by vehicles on roads.
“These creatures are vital to what we eat and what our countryside looks like,” Gill Perkins, chief executive of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, told BBC. “They provide a whole ecosystem service.” Bees have an economic value of about $150 billion, according to a study by the University of Reading, and provide pollination for a third of the food we eat.
Many communities are considering the environment and financial benefits of wild areas during the lockdown. Perkins said that in the UK it seems that people “are beginning to realise how their mental health and wellbeing is supported by nature – particularly by bumblebees, which are so iconic and beautiful and buzzy. I hope that remains after lockdown.”
Read more about bees in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- 5 Easy Ways to Help the Bees
- Why Bees Are Important to Our Planet
- How Industrial Farming Has Changed Life for Bees – for the Worse
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
This is a good time to reconsider our intake of animal products to stay healthy. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health, and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our latest coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Coronavirus Update: States Start Relaxing Social Distancing Orders
- New Guidelines for Pet Owners from CDC
- United States Now Has Most Coronavirus Cases in the World
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Experts Believe Coronavirus Vaccines Should be Tested on Humans Directly Versus Animals
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!