A program in Philidelphia called the Philly Goat Project accepts recycled Christmas trees. Their goats will then eat through the entire tree in just around 20 minutes. This helps cut down on waste and gives the goats a yummy meal! The trees that aren’t eaten are turned into wood chips and sent to trails around the city.
Source: FOX 29 Philadelphia/YouTube
Luckily, there are programs like this all around the country that work to cut down Christmas tree waste each year. Regardless of where you live, commit to finding a way to recycle your Christmas tree this year!
To put it frankly, it is hard to imagine Christmas without a Christmas tree. That’s where much of the trimming goes. Under it is where the presents go. And, for a month or more each year, the tree becomes a focal point in the house, either occupying a prominent window or taking over as the centerpiece of the living room. A Christmas without the tree would feel pretty odd, but we also have to face facts: Something has to be done with all of these trees after the holiday is over.
Sign this petition to pledge to recycle your Christmas tree and other plant-based holiday decorations after the holiday season!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Protect The Once Extinct Somali Elephant Shrew
- Pledge to Recycle Your Christmas Tree
- Investigate Doctor Who Let Male Medical Student Give Woman Pelvic Exam Without Consent
- Demand Mayor Eric Adams Stop Involuntarily Locking up People With Mental Illness in NYC
- Make Sure This Woman Who Neglected Almost 200 Dogs Gets a Lifelong Ban on Animal Ownership
- Tell Alabama to Ban the Death Penalty After Three Botched Lethal Injections
- Demand Shein Abide by Labor Laws and Stop Exploiting Workers
- Demand the DEA Revise the Opioid Regulation Strategy
- Demand Proper Oversight for Edmonton Zoo After Years of Welfare Concerns
- Free Two Beagle Puppies Who Are Facing Death in Police Custody
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!