Now that Lula de Silva beat Jair Bolsonaro in the recent election in Brazil, environmentalists around the world are awaiting Lula to live up to the environmental claims of his campaign and finally give the Amazon Rainforest rights.
Source: Bloomberg Quicktake: Now/YouTube
Bolsonaro rolled back numerous environmental protections and encouraged more mining and commercial farming in the Amazon. He ignored the rights and claims of Indigenous tribes. Luckily Lula has promised to be different and to protect the Amazon rainforest. According to analysts, if he delivers on his promises, Brazil’s contributions could have a major impact on the fight against climate change. After all, the Amazon is considered the “lungs of the planet”.
The Global Alliance for the Rights of Nature movement has worked in numerous countries around the world to give animals and whole ecosystems the same rights that human beings have. The results have been remarkable, and it’s time for the Amazon to have those rights!
“Brazil is ready to retake its leadership in the fight against the climate crisis,” Lula said after winning. “Brazil and the planet need a living Amazon.”
After all of the destruction and years of deforestation during Bolsonaro’s time, it’s time that we finally step up for what’s right and protect the lungs of our planet and the indigenous people in the area.
Sign this petition to tell President Lula to enshrine the Amazon’s right to exist into law!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand New Mexico and West Virginia Finally Ban Bestiality
- Demand FIFA Take Accountability For the Thousands of Migrant Workers That Have Died in Qatar
- Protect Fungi That Have Long Been Neglected in Conservation
- Pledge to Protect Cats From the Cold This Winter
- Tell Ohio to Stop Killing Mink That Escaped From Deadly Fur Farm
- Tell Germany to Ban Circus From Using and Abusing Animals For Show
- Tell Congress to Finally Pass A $15 Federal Minimum Wage
- Demand Investigation into the Kansas PD For Ignoring Evidence of a Racist Serial Killer for Months
- Tell the Chinese Government to Stop High-Rise Factory Farm That Will Slaughter 1.2 Million Pigs Each Year
- Tell Australia to Invest in Effective Animal Cruelty Prevention Laws
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!