Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Flooding in Pakistan has affected over 33 million people, with a third of the country now underwater amid the unprecedented amount of rainfall this summer. This monsoon season has been ‘supercharged’ by climate change killing over 1,100 people since mid-June. The flood has damaged over 1 million homes and left villages stranded and underwater. Roads and bridges are being washed away, crops are being wiped out, and half a million people have sought shelter in relief camps.
Source: Tazzy Phe/YouTube
The flooding is largely due to climate change. However, Pakistan contributes less than .5% to global emissions. It’s clear, and we’ve known for a while now, that the world’s wealthiest countries have caused the environmental disaster but have often felt the least of its consequences.
Countries like the United States are responsible for Climate change, and they have a responsibility to step up and help these smaller countries that are feeling the worst of this extreme weather! Even though we can’t see the global impacts of Climate change every day, it is truly a global problem. We need to work toward fighting Climate change and remember that our actions can impact people all over the world who could be paying a much higher price than we think.
Sign this petition to demand wealthy countries like the U.S. cut emissions and compensate Pakistan for its flood-related losses!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Demand Full Investigation into Veterinarian Who Beat Dog While His Son Recorded
- Demand Amazon Take Responsibility For Deaths After Selling “Suicide Bundles” to Teenagers
- Tell Romania to End Chinchilla Fur Farming
- Demand Action Against the Taliban, Which Won’t Let Girls Go to School
- Ban Animal Abuser Who Locked Up 665 Animals From Having Animals Ever Again
- Close Loopholes That Allow Lawmakers to Continue Insider Trading Without Consequence
- Call on the U.K. to Extend its Animal Welfare Laws to Fisheries
- Tell the USDA to Enforce Animal Welfare Act After A Bull’s Leg Was Crushed at a Bull Riding Event
- Demand Wealthy Countries Help Pakistan With Climate-Related Flooding
- Tell Australia that Kangaroos are Not Pets
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote wise, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!