The journal Nature Climate Change has found that by 2070 all of Madagascar’s rainforest will be gone due to deforestation and climate change. The thousands of plants, mammals, reptiles and other animals will be impacted.
80-90% of the species in Madagascar only exist in those areas. The area is considered a “biodiversity hotspot.” Environmentalists are concerned about long term effects of greenhouse gas emissions and deforestation in the health of the area.
Lemurs are in trouble in the area. Two species of ruffled lemurs are critically endangered, according to the study. Because the plants and animals in the area are interconnected, services provided by all species help the others. Lemurs for instance, provide a role in dispersing seeds of plant species. Madagascar has 101 species of lemurs, 95% are endangered.
Andrea Baden, a professor of anthropology at The Graduate Center, CUNY and Hunter College and the lead investigator said of the findings, “When we projected the impact of deforestation and climate change, we found that deforestation alone and climate change alone could reduce ruffed lemur habitat by over 50 percent. Even more alarming, these two factors together are projected to essentially decimate suitable rainforest habitat by the end of the century.”
The health of the area depends on the government’s extent of protection for the area. Strict deforestation policies or more relaxed policies determine the health of the area. Madagascar has already lost 45% of its forest cover since the 1950s.
Sign this petition asking the government of Madagascar to take urgent action to save the rainforests from destruction.
Read more about deforestation in One Green Planet. Check out these articles:
- Walmart, Costco, Target, McDonalds and More! Companies Linked to Promoting Amazon Deforestation
- Beef Industry Linked to Catastrophic Deforestation for Great Barrier Reef Catchments
- Orangutans Are Suffering in Indonesian Fires Right Now Due to Palm Oil Deforestation!
- From Soy, Palm Oil and Beef Consumption to Human Rights and Habitat Exploitation: All You Need To Know About Deforestation In Light of The Amazon Fires
- Halting Deforestation and Protecting Orangutans in Indonesia
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- Scientists Call for Cuts to Deforestation to Protect the Planet – Here’s How You Can Help With Your Food Choices
- WOW! Photo Reveals the Shocking Link Between Animal Agriculture and Deforestation
- Greenpeace Report Links Major Dairy Supplier to Palm Oil Deforestation
- 5,000 Koalas Lose Their Lives Every Year Because of Deforestation – Let’s Help Save Them!
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- New Investigation Exposes Burger King’s Connection to Mass Deforestation in Latin America
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is Largely to Blame
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!