Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This Tiktoker shared a sustainable hack for people out there who love fashion but also love the planet. Her tip is to rent gently used clothes instead of buying new items every time a new fashion trend emerges. Not only will you have extra closet space, but renting clothes can be very cost-effective. Renting is a practical solution to impulse buying, and you’ll never have to feel guilty again about wanting to shop for new styles.
@skysaba #ecofriendly #sustainablefashion #sustainablefashion #ecofriendly #fashion #fashionhacks #lowwaste ♬ original sound – Happy Earth Habits
People are renting and buying more secondhand clothing than ever before, and the trend is only going to increase. This is good news for those concerned with the impacts of a growing clothing and textile industry. The fashion industry has a large carbon footprint and accounts for 10 percent of global human-emitted greenhouse gasses. The environmental impacts of the fashion industry are in addition to the numerous human rights concerns regarding the treatment of textile workers in factories across the globe.
By purchasing or renting a gently used item, you’re helping to keep things in circulation that would have gone into a landfill. Thrifting is the ultimate way to live out the slogan, “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!” Whether you’re picking up a gently used outfit for that party this weekend or some glass vases to do some DIY magic with, the local thrift shop and secondhand clothing sites have you covered.
- TikTok Tip: Sustainable Fashion Hack For Jeans That Are Too Small
- Sustainable Circular Fashion Brand SO.TY Launches for BIPOC Communities
- Your 6 Step Guide to Sustainable Fashion in 2022
- Vegan Fashion Week Brings Vegan World, An Immersive Environment to Experience Vegan Fashion in LA
- Petition: Tell Major Fashion Brands to Ditch Leather
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!