Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
This solar panel-covered five-and-a-half-mile bike bath in between an eight-lane highway in South Korea generates eco-friendly energy for the country.
Source: ABC News/Youtube
The bike path is 13-feet-wide and is covered in over 7,500 solar panels. The solar panels cover three miles of the bike path and can produce an annual average of 2,200 MWh of electricity that powers streetlights and electronic displays in Sejong. This amount of energy can generate enough power for approximately 600 households, according to South Korea’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
“Solar panels in public facilities are part of a trend in clean energy,” Kim Geun-ho, a researcher from the Green Energy Institute based in the country, told ABC News. “At the beginning stage, solar power generation was mostly constructed in vast farmland and mountainous areas. It moved on to public facility rooftops, and finally have evolved to play the role of a shelter and power generator at the same time, in this case, a roof on top of a bike road.”
This is an amazing way to encourage citizens to exercise and choose bikes instead of cars while also giving them shade and generating power all at the same time! We hope that this will encourage other countries to make the same type of solar bike paths!
- France Giving Citizens €4,000 to Ditch Their Cars for Electric Bikes
- The Netherlands Just Got a Bike Path Made Entirely Out of Recycled Plastic Waste
- This Incredible Man Quit His Job to Bike Up and Down Rivers Collecting Plastic Trash
- Dutch Designer Creates Gorgeous Bike Path That is Powered in a Way That Will Blow Your Mind
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!