Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
France recently approved new legislation through the Senate that will require all parking lots with spaces for at least 80 vehicles to be covered by solar panels. This includes both existing and new parking lots of this size.
Source: All That Happens/YouTube
The new legislation is a part of the effort from president Emmanuel Macron’s plan to invest in renewables and multiply the amount of solar energy produced in the country by 10. The country is also aiming to double the power from wind farms.
Now, smaller parking lots that have between 80 and 400 spaces will have five years, starting July 1, 2023, to comply with the new law. Parking lots with more than 400 spaces will need to have at least half of the surface area of the lot done within three years of next July.
The plan aims to target large parking lots, and they believe it could generate up to 11 gigawatts and power millions of homes. Public Sénat clarified that there are exceptions for parking lots that are used for trucks carrying heavy goods or parking areas in historic or protected areas. There will reportedly be penalties for lots who do not comply.
Projects worldwide are developing new ways to utilize solar panels and move away from dirty fossil fuels. Architecture students in Barcelona just built a solar-powered greenhouse that uses 50 percent less energy than it produces. Virginia is transforming abandoned coal mines into solar farms, and a start-up is helping retrofit old buildings in Brooklyn to use clean energy. The latest climate report from the IPCC is a final warning for governments around the world about Global warming, so it’s great to see countries taking the initiative and working towards a renewable future!
- Walt Disney World Resort Will Be Powered By Nearly 40% Solar Energy!
- Top Source of Oil Pollution in the Ocean is Our Cars, New Report Finds
- Hotel in Connecticut Poised to Become Greenest in America
- Apple Announces New Investments in Wind and Solar to Decarbonize Operations
- This Maldives Resort Runs Completely on Solar Power
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!