Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Baby and adult elephants are used in entertainment around the world, including giving rides to tourists or performing tricks. “The Crush” is designed to break animals spirits, and according to World Animal Protection, uses cruel techniques including:
- “forceable separation from their mothers which would not happen in the wild
- the use of a bullhook – a metal tool used to jab sensitive areas often resulting in open wounds
- chains to restrain them in an uncomfortable narrow standing area – the crush – for days on end
- frequent exposure to stressful situations”
World Animal Protection’s Audrey Mealia, global head of wildlife said of the treatment, “We are at a turning point when it comes to our relationship with wild animals. The tourism industry has come to a halt in the wake of COVID-19 but it will re-build – this is the ideal opportunity to build a better future. We are calling on the tourism industry to revise their wildlife policies and stop offering exploitative experiences to their customers. Right now, elephants are not being used for riding, bathing, or shows. We’d like to keep it this way.”
Watch the horrible video, below:
Sign this petition to shut down elephant tourism!
Read more about elephants in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Petition: Save Elephants from Cruel and Exploitative Guruvayur Temple!
- Petition: Ask Travel Publisher, Fodor’s, to Stop Promoting Elephant Captivity
- Elephant Artists? Here’s Why Making an Elephant Paint is Cruel, Not Cute
- Baby Elephant Being Used as Party Prop to Entertain Guests at Five-Star Resort
- Maesa Elephant Camp Unchains Elephants After Backlash Over Mistreatment
- Are You Supporting an Elephant ‘Sanctuary’ That Is Actually Causing Suffering?
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!</span