Experts say we need to find another solution amid heat waves as air conditioners take a huge toll on the environment. Air conditioners worldwide are expected to triple by 2050, and experts warn that we need to rethink this.
As the planet continues to warm up, people everywhere are relying on air conditioners more than ever. Air conditioners take up more electricity than any other appliance in homes. Electric fans also guzzle energy. Not only are these chemical leaking units taking up energy, but they may not be as efficient as they seem.
Sophie Geoghegan, a climate campaigner at the Environmental Investigation Agency, a London-based green NGO told Euronews that the average unit is only one-third as efficient as it could be.
“These energy guzzling pieces of equipment are often running for many, many hours a day,” she says.
“When you look at commercial refrigeration, they’re always running.”
“According to the International Energy Agency, by 2050, fans and space cooling will consume as much electricity as all of China and India do today.”
Air conditioner units are also known to leak hydrofluorocarbon refrigerants (HFCs), gases that are known to be extremely good at trapping heat in the atmosphere. The most common of these refrigerants is called R-410A and is 2,000 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
“It’s terrifying. Given how many people are buying air conditioners, it could be absolutely disastrous,” Geoghegan said.
Source: CBC News/Youtube
Air conditioning and refrigerators work using the same mechanism of cooling! The main difference is air conditioners are responsible for entire rooms, which makes them work a lot harder. Artificial cooling systems have a compressor, a condenser, and an evaporator that turns chemicals from a gas into liquids and then back into gas to transfer heat to the outdoors. As heat is extracted from the indoor environment, the air is cooled over an evaporator coil, which contains a heat-absorbing fluid called a refrigerant.
- This Brilliant Invention Turns Plastic Water Bottles Into a DIY Air Conditioner – No Electricity Required!
- How to Keep Your House (and Body) Cool This Summer Without Energy-Sucking Air Conditioners
- How to Cool a Space without Air Conditioning
- Air Conditioning is a Modern Luxury, but is it Costing the Planet More Than We Realize?
- 10 Natural Ventilation Tips For Your Home
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!