Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro told a U.S. climate summit on Earth Day that he would fight deforestation. Speaking during the summit, Bolsonaro said he would double the budget for environmental regulation and end illegal deforestation by 2030. The next day, the official budget showed he approved a 24% cut to the environmental budget from 2020 figures, Reuters reported. It’s unclear how much of the budget is set aside for environmental enforcement.
“The gesture of giving a speech yesterday isn’t enough,” said Congressman Rodrigo Agostinho, leader of the environmental caucus in Brazil’s Congress. “Brazil’s government needs to do its homework.”
Bolsonaro’s government has weakened environmental protections and has put forth plans to develop protected areas.
The Environment Ministry is calling on the Economy Ministry to fulfill Bolsanaro’s pledge. However, many activists worry that the pledge will go unfulfilled. They believe that it was merely used as a bargaining tool to solidify a deal between the US and Brazil in which the US offers monetary assistance provided that Brazil protects the Amazon.
Source: Democracy Now!/YouTube
Sign this petition if you want the Brazilian Government to stop the Amazon fires.
In 2020 alone, 3.5 million hectares have burned according to scientists. Read more about the Amazon and deforestation in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Amazon Rainforest is Now Emitting More Carbon Dioxide than it Absorbs
- 7 Companies Working to End Deforestation
- 5 Big Causes of Deforestation and How You Can Stop It
- The Impact of Deforestation and The Importance of Trees
- These Shocking Photos of the Disappearing Amazon Because of Meat Consumption
- Amazon Is Reaching a Point of No Return Thanks to Deforestation – Here’s What You Can Do Right NOW to Save It
- Deforestation in the Amazon is Up by 29 Percent and Our Appetite for Meat is to Blame
- WOW! Photo Reveals the Shocking Link Between Animal Agriculture and Deforestation
- 10 Major Companies Responsible for Deforestation
- Walmart, Costco, Target, McDonalds and More! Companies Linked to Promoting Amazon Deforestation
- How Meat Company JBS is Destroying the Amazon
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!