The world around us, from our environment and the creatures that inhabit it, is full of mysteries and challenges that can be overwhelming to comprehend. Fortunately, one way to gain a better understanding of our environment and the creatures within it is to read books about them. We’ve compiled a list of various animal and environmental books from 2022 which exist to help us explore and better understand our natural world.
1. Silent Spring Revolution: John F. Kennedy, Rachel Carson, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, and the Great Environmental Awakening By Douglas Brinkley
In 1962, Rachel Carson’s book Silent Spring sparked a revolution in how the public viewed the environment and the man-made pollutants damaging it. Douglas Brinkley’s book, Silent Spring Revolution pays tribute to those who navigated the natural world in the sixties while reminding readers that a new generation of environmentalists in the twenty-first century is upon us and have the opportunity to reverse climate change now.
2. Local Voices, Local Choices: The Tacare Approach to Community-Led Conservation
Jane Goodall’s book, Local Voices, Local Choices: The Tacare Approach to Community-Led Conservation, explores the importance of the local community in the Conservation of natural resources. By using the real-life example of the “Tacare” program in Tanzania, Goodall shows firsthand how the participation of local people can drive the sustainability of their environments and the preservation of their culture.
3. Life on the Rocks: Building a Future for Coral Reefs
Juli Berwald’s book, Life on the Rocks, offers a unique and scientific look into a daunting problem faced by people around the world. As this book argues, coral reefs are facing the damaging effects of Climate change, Pollution, and human activity, and these changes are leaving the future of the reefs uncertain. Berwald takes readers on an exploration of the problems hindering the health of coral reefs and what can be done to help in their recovery.
4. The Treeline: The Last Forest and the Future of Life on Earth
Ben Rawlence’s book, The Treeline, brings a detailed and frightening introduction to the current state of the world’s forests and what may become our future if we do not act soon. With an incredibly comprehensive look across various countries, this book takes us through scientific reports and stories to illustrate our current environment of deforestation and how it will drastically affect us in years to come.
5. Regenesis: Feeding the World Without Devouring the Planet
In recent years, the environmental crisis has become a global issue and a central part of the discussion on Climate change. In his book, “Regenesis”, George Monbiot argues that with available new technologies, a dramatic shift in how we cultivate land can be achieved. Monbiot provides a creative, realistic way to help address long-term hunger in a way that reduces our negative impacts on the planet.
6. The Insect Crisis: The Fall of the Tiny Empires That Run the World
Oliver Milman’s book The Insect Crisis paints a vivid picture of the delicate state of the natural world and its creatures. His exploration of the consequences of Climate change, habitat destruction, and human interference is both eye-opening and informative. Milman presents a comprehensive look at the decline of insect populations, offering not only scientific research but also personal stories to illustrate the bigger picture.
In recent decades, the need for information and education about the environment and individual animal species has become increasingly important. With the emergence of new books focusing on animal Conservation and environmental protection, readers are being presented with an invaluable resource for better understanding the world around us.
- 10 Documentaries to Watch in 2021 to Live More Mindfully and Healthfully on this Planet
- 10 Must-Read Environmental Books From 2020
- 10 Podcasts on Animals and the Environment to Listen to in 2021
- 10 Documentaries that Will Make You Rethink Everything You Know About Animals
- New Documentary Tells Story of Slain Animal Activist
- New Greta Thunberg Documentary Titled “I am Greta” Coming to Hulu This November
- Animal and Animal Activism Movies of 2021
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast Fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!