Cats love boxes because it’s a new item for them to investigate. According to Mikel Delgado, PhD, a cat behavior researcher at the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, who works with Rover, natural curiosity drives them to figure out what’s in the boxes and the rustling sounds make it that much more exciting for them.
Matthew McCarthy, DVM, owner of Juniper Valley Animal Hospital in Middle Village, NY said that cats also like the safety of boxes and the self-protection they provide. Cats feel protected when they sit or lie in boxes.
Source: MoBro94 Production/Youtube
Keep boxes safe for cats is important! Delgado recommends keeping boxes safe by keeping them empty of packaging material. Be sure to check for staples, exposed tape, or other remnants from the original package. You can make the box more inviting by adding a blanket for your cat. And keep the box a safe space for the cat by leaving them alone in it, don’t lift or move the box once they’re inside.
For more information on how to keep your cat happy and healthy, check out the below articles.
- Simple Tips Every Cat Lover Needs to Keep Their Fur Baby Healthy, and Most Importantly, Happy
- Does Your Cat Need a Friend? Benefits of Adopting a Second Kitty and What to Consider
- Simple Holistic Health Tips and Tricks Every Pet Parent Can Try
- Keep Your Cat from Scratching Furniture
- Study Finds Goats Recognize Human Cues Just like Dogs!
- Cows Experience Mood Swings Too
- Study Finds Cows Talk, Share Feelings, and are Deserving of Our Compassion
- This Cat Can Fit Into Any Box – Yes ANY!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!