Animal welfare breaches are being investigated by the Ministry for Primary Industries in New Zealand after undercover video found dead chickens rotting inside a caged egg farm. According to Newshub, undercover footage shows blood close to where eggs are, dead and decaying chickens, and chickens without wing feathers.
The caged egg farm is located in Purua, close to Whangarei. The farm is called Northern Eggs and can hold up to 175,000 chickens. The farm is violating rules in place by the Code of Welfare for Layer Hens. The rule says that dead hens must be removed each day from the flock.
SAFE, a New Zealand Animal rights organization, is the group behind the footage. Marianne Macdonald, SAFE’s campaigns manager, told Newshub of the animal treatment, “These birds are supposed to be checked regularly, and that’s obviously not happening.”
Northern Eggs denied the claims, and would not allow Newshub inside the farm to film. The company said in a statement to Newshub, “We consistently meet and exceed the regulatory standards set out and this is reflected in our annual audit results. We prioritise maintaining good health and low mortality across the farm.”
Sign this petition to take action against cruel chicken factory farming in New Zealand.
Learn more about factory farms in One Green Planet, including other violations at a farm in New Zealand. And Costco selling chickens from a massive slaughterhouse. You can avoid contributing to such cruelty by ditching dairy and meat and here are some resources to help you get started:
- 10 Great Reasons to Ditch Dairy
- 5 Easy Ways to Cut Down on Your Meat Consumption
- Easy Tips to Help You Ditch Dairy
- 10 Scary Facts About Meat and the Environment
- How Dairy Affects Your Hormones
- The Shocking Truth About the Dairy Industry and the Environment
- 10 Facts About the Dairy Industry That Will Shock You
- Why Reducing Meat Consumption Is the Easiest Step Everyone Can Take to Fix Our Broken Food System
- How the Dairy Industry Has Unnaturally Altered the Life of Cows
- 5 Ways Factory Farming Is Killing the Environment
- Why Factory Farming Is a Broken System Where Extreme Animal Cruelty and Abuse Is the Norm
Reducing your meat intake and eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. Learn about some Common Health Concerns That May Disappear Once You Ditch Dairy and 10 Calcium Supplements For Healthy Living on a Dairy-Free and 10 Carrageenan-Free Non-Dairy Products!
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!