Wetherspoon, Tesco, and Lidl have taken steps to ban beef sourced from Berryfields Farm in Daventry. Footage emerged from the production facility showing animal abuse and suffering at the hands of employees.
Beef from the farm is regularly shipped to a Foyle Food Group slaughterhouse and then the resulting products are sold to grocery chains. The chains have now stopped the relationship with the farms that were at the center of the abuse. Footage shows one employee throwing a bucket at the head of a young cow, another clip shows stockmen beating and abusing the animals.
The footage was captured and shared by the Animal Justice Project. Claire Palmer, spokesperson for the group, said the footage shows a “catalogue of abuse and neglect.” “Abusing cows by punching, kicking, throwing buckets in their faces, and hitting them with pipes can never be a kind option,” she told the Daily Mail.
See the footage from the group’s Facebook page:
Tesco said of the footage, “These are disturbing and unacceptable images. We require all our suppliers to uphold high animal welfare standards, and have immediately suspended this farm.”
Read more news about undercover animal investigations and the harm of factory farms in One Green Planet, including Rooney Mara’s undercover investigation and outcry over goats that were abused on a UK farm.
Many grocery stores, including Tesco, have suspended their ordering from St Helens after seeing disturbing footage of employees abusing goats used for the popular goat milk brand. Sign this petition to encourage the owners of the farm, Angus & Kathleen Wielkopolski, to safely re-home their goats and transition to oat milk or vertical farming!
Read more about the horrors of factory farming below:
- 5 Ways Factory Farming Is Killing the Environment
- Battery Hen Reaching to See Light in Her Cramped Cage Shows the Realities of Factory Farming
- This New Documentary Will Change How the World Sees Factory Farming Forever (VIDEO)
- The Important Lesson About Factory Farming We Can Learn From 31 Rescued Ducklings
- 200 Health and Science Experts Have a Very Powerful Message About Factory Farming
- What You Need to Know About Avian Influenza and Factory Farming
- Why Factory Farming Is a Broken System Where Extreme Animal Cruelty and Abuse Is the Norm
- Newly Elected Swiss Politician Creates ‘No Factory Farming in Switzerland’ Campaign!
Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!