Popular UK show, I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here, needs to stop abusing animals as part of its show games. The show uses gags and gimmicks involving rats, snakes, insects and other creatures for laughs. In a series called “The Bushtucker Trials,” celebrities are forced to either eat live animals, or lie down in coffins with them in order to win stars for their side.
Viva! Animal rights alongside celebrities like Chris Packham and Lucy Watson have called to end animals’ involvements in the trials.
These games harm animals and expose families and children to animal cruelty. It normalizes using animals for sport.
Chris Packham told the Daily Mirror about using animals on the show, “When I see them being harmed or killed for entertainment, I wonder if we are not in the Middle Ages. It’s about change. People have to accept that we have to make changes now.”
In an editorial posted by Viva! activist Tayana Simons, she said of the use of animals on the show, “The Bushtucker Trials epitomise a flippant disregard for non-human animal life which does not belong in this century. They need to end. If the animals used in the show were socially valued animals such as cats or dogs, there would be an uproar at scenes of them being grabbed and flung by the neck, tossed around in overcrowded caves or having their body parts eaten on live TV. Sadly, the trials typify and strengthen the widely held belief that some animals are more deserving of compassion and respect than others.”
Read more below to learn about how animals are abused for entertainment and why this is extremely inhumane:
- Kendall Jenner Kneeling on Back of Horse for Halloween Fashion Photo is Disgraceful
- Jason Momoa Recklessly Feeds Cookie to a Bear from his Mouth as Publicity Stunt to Promote Movie
- The Do’s and Don’ts: Your Handy Guide To Animal Entertainment
- Horrifying Video of Monkey Dressed Like a Little Girl and Begging Shows Why Animals Don’t Belong as Entertainment
- Animals Who Escaped Captivity and What They Teach Us About the Consequences of Entertainment
- BREAKING: Los Angeles Bans Use of Wild Animals for Entertainment!
- How We’ve Manipulated Animals for Entertainment
- Empty the Cages! How We’re Fighting for the Freedom of Animals Used for Entertainment
- Booking.com No Longer Sells Tickets to Captive Animal Attractions!
- Champion Horse Trainer Charged With Animal Cruelty Shows Horse Racing is Indeed a Cruel Sport
Update 11/21/19: The TV show has now officially banned eating live insects! Unfortunately, they will still eat dead insects and the use of animals has not been entirely banned from the show.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!