Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Fullerton, California students in a Future Farmers for America program did something recently that goes against the grain. They sent three goats and two sheep to an animal sanctuary instead of the slaughterhouse.
The goats and sheep are currently living at Farm Sanctuary in Acton, California. Other animals in the Future Farmers of America program went to a local fair’s Junior Livestock Auction. Future farmers must invest their time and money in animal care. That money is then usually recouped when they put their animals up for auction at a fair.
Rilea Reed is one of the students who gave her sheep to the Farm Sanctuary. Reed describes her bond with the animal as strong and she couldn’t bear to see an animal she considered a pet get slaughtered. “I won’t judge other people,” Reed, 15, told the OC Register, “But I personally don’t want to do that.” Her family drove Phry, the sheep, to Farm Sanctuary.
The Farm Sanctuary is a haven for animals. Its California outpost holds about 170 animals. The Sanctuary received an email from a student that sent their animal to the Sanctuary, ” For the past eight months I’ve been stressed about where he was going to go and him possibly being on someone’s kitchen table. You saved my baby. I’m forever grateful.”
Sign this petition to tell the U.S. government: No More Bailouts for Factory Farms
Read more Farm Sanctuary news and about other farm sanctuaries in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- A Former Goat Farmer and a Dairy Farmer Opened an Animal Sanctuary – and It’s Beautiful
- New Documentary Tells the Story of How a Dairy Farmer and an Animal Activist Joined Forces to Save Animals in Germany
- Film About Farmer Who Sent His Herd of Cows to a Sanctuary Won a BAFTA Award!
- 10 Amazing Farm Animal Sanctuaries You Should Support
- A Herd of Cows Noticed Their Friend Couldn’t Stand Up and Responded in the Most Endearing Way
- 10 Farm Sanctuaries in the U.S. That Are Great For Volunteering
- Backyard Chick Who Was Abandoned in Post Office is Finally Living the Life She Deserves
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!