Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Wally the Walrus has been spotted again! After falling asleep on an ice floe, Wally has been making his way around the UK and was most recently spotted on the Scillies off the coast of Cornwall.
Boat owners have reported Wally napping on their boats for long periods of time. Unfortunately, Wally has capsized many boats this way. Naval officials made a pontoon for Wally to relax on to spare boats.
The British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR), Isles of Scilly Wildlife Trust, Cornwall Seal Group Research Trust and the St Mary’s Harbour Team put their heads together to find a new spot for Wally’s snoozes.
A spokesperson for the groups said, “Since the pontoon’s deployment the walrus has found it and has now returned on a number of occasions in between feeding excursions. The situation is being monitored and it may be possible to re-locate the pontoon outside the harbour area to reduce disturbance and enable him to rest more effectively. In the meantime all boats owners and water users have been asked to give the walrus space and refrain from actively moving towards him, but the temptation has proved too strong for many. The walrus is a highly protected species and disturbance of this nature is a criminal offence. Even a lift of the head means his rest has been interrupted. Please stay away from him.”
- Walrus Found 2,650 Miles South of Habitat
- 5 Reasons to Combat Climate Change – For the Animals
- Scientists Say Climate Change Has Reached the ‘Point of No Return’ – 5 Things You Can Do Today
- What You Need to Know About Ocean Acidification and How it Affects You
- Island Nations Drowning Due to Climate Change – How You Can Help With One Simple Choice
- What This Image of 35,000 Stranded Walruses Has to Do With Our Daily Habits
- How Saving Our Rainforests Could Determine the Fate of the Polar Bear Species
- There’s a Choice We Make Every Day That’s Causing Polar Bears to Eat Dolphins
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!