Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
According to research done by the Independent, UK grocery stores are selling free-range eggs while also purchasing game birds from damaging farms. Partridges and pheasants are raised in inhumane environments, including cages, according to Animal rights activists.
Stores like Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer are under fire for celebrating their free-range eggs while purchasing birds from farms where birds are caged. The group Animal Aid asked supermarkets whether they purchased animals from the caged farms.
Caged farms are often found to have crowded birds, which leads to birds being injured or with high rates of premature death. The birds are often forced into masks or other apparatuses to stop them from attacking each other.
See a video by Animal Aid showing the treatment of partridges and pheasants:
Chris Packham who leads the group Wild Justice, said of the treatment of the animals in cages, “The spectacle of pheasants and partridges in overcrowded cages makes my stomach turn. The potential damage to biodiversity that occurs when millions of these birds are released needs immediate and independent assessment. Come on, supermarkets! You can’t boast about cage-free eggs and then be party to selling game birds reared in cages.”
The supermarkets Sainsbury’s and Waitrose both told the Independent that their stance was a statement by Andrew Opie, of the British Retail Consortium, which is “Animal welfare is extremely important to our members who comply with all standards. In this case, these are defined by the game bird industry and are tailored to the welfare requirement of those birds.Members are aware of how important animal welfare is to their consumers, and are in constant conversations with their suppliers to ensure the best practices are in place.”
Learn more about the myth around labels like free-range, grass-fed and cage-free below:
- Shocking Video Shows How Terribly Free Range Animals Are Treated
- Haunting Photo Shows What a Free Range Chicken Really Looks Like
- What Those Food Labels Really Mean: Free Range,Cage Free,and Grass Fed
- Think You Know Free-Range and Cage Free Chicken? Think Again.
- Thousands of Pounds of Grass Fed Gourmet Humane Meat Recalled!
- Still Eating Grass-Fed Beef For the Environment? Another Study Just Proved This Isn’t a Solution
- Sorry, Meat Lovers – Another Study Shows That Eating Grass-Fed Beef Isn’t Helping the Planet
- Here’s Why Grass-Fed Beef is Just as Bad for the Environment as Grain-Fed
- The Debate Ends Here. Can Grass-Fed Beef Be a Better Option for People, Animals and the Planet?
- Why Organic, Grass-Fed Livestock is Not as Sustainable as You Might Think
You can avoid contributing to such cruelty by reducing your dairy and meat consumption. Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects. Learn about some Common Health Concerns That May Disappear Once You Ditch Dairy and 10 Calcium Supplements For Healthy Living on a Dairy-Free and 10 Carrageenan-Free Non-Dairy Products!
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, plant-based, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!