A starving lion and other underfed animals were reported by a visitor at the Gamji Gate Zoo in Nigeria, two groups are stepping in to help the animals. Wild@Life, a local animal charity and the Nigerian Association of Zoological Gardens and Wildlife Parks (NAZAP) stepped in to take on the situation.
Source: News Flare/Youtube
Francis Abioye, NAZAP National President, said that flooding was to blame for the neglect of the animals. He told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), “The problem started after a recent flood ravaged the park and affected majorly the cats and paddocks. Lack of equipment to tranquilise the lion and gain closeness made it impossible to rescue the animal immediately. An executive of NAZAP on getting the information immediately mobilised to the scene and has been able to rescue the animal, the situation is now under control. No government in the world can care for its citizens without starting with animals. The way we care for the animals will influence the way we care for citizens.”
View this post on Instagram
Wild@Life shared on Instagram, “Our promise was granted — Within 24hours we had sent a skilled Vet to Shadow side 🦁at the Kaduna Zoo in Nigeria(Not an easy task with Covid and civil unrest around Nigeria). Urgent Feeding programmes for all the animals at the Zoo also in place. Shadow continues to defy expectations, to have survived his flooded cage that saw the animals held captive at the Zoo suspending themselves above objects to breath, while their entire bodies were submerged in the flood, is astounding! The impact was continued loss of appetite, loss of weight, skin infections.”
Zoos are harmful to wildlife and do not help with conservation efforts, as they most commonly publicize. Animals are kept in small habitats and often suffer emotional distress. Sign this petition to call for a ban on zoos around the world!
Read more about why zoos are harmful to society in One Green Planet:
- What Keeping Polar Bears in Zoos and Aquariums Does to These Animals Will Shock You
- Zookeeper Attacked by Tiger is Further Proof that Wild Animals Don’t Belong in Captivity
- Zoochosis and the Many Ways We Have Failed Zoo Animals
- Zoochosis: What Really Happens to Animals in Captivity (VIDEO)
- The Truth About the Lives of Animals in Captivity Versus the Wild
- How Zoos are Distorting Our View of the Natural World
- These Were the 10 Worst U.S. Zoos for Elephants in 2017 – Let’s Change This In 2018! (VIDEO)
- 7 Lessons We Really Should Be Learning From Zoos
- Think Zoos Are Fun Places? You Need to Watch This Video
- Stunning Photos Showcase the Suffering of Animals in Zoos, Aquariums, and More
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!