Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Ironically, 48-year-old Happy the elephant is anything but happy. She has lived in captivity almost her entire life and has been forced to live alone for the last 13 years in the Bronx Zoo. Elephants are extremely intelligent animals and have complex social needs to maintain their psychological welfare, says Wild Welfare. Many advocacy groups recognize this, and The Nonhuman Rights Project has expressed that they would like to move her from a “one-acre prison” at the zoo to a more spacious sanctuary.
It’s heartbreaking to imagine the many years of loneliness and pain that she has endured. Her health and psychological well-being are at-risk the longer she lives in isolation. Zoos won’t do the right thing until the wrong thing stops being profitable. Not only can you sign this petition, but you can choose not to Support animal captivity. Happy deserves to live out the rest of her life free in a sanctuary.
Sign this petition to free Happy the elephant from her imprisonment at the Bronx Zoo!
To continue speaking up, sign these other petitions as well:
- Release Rescued Lion who Was Sent Back to His Abusive Captor
- Ban All Fur Farming in The U.S
- People are Forcing Snakes to Kill Pets For Youtube Likes
- Urge the U.S. Government to Ban the Breeding of Pugs
- Shut Down This Murderous Horse-Racing Track
- Stop Subjecting Rats to Unnecessarily Cruel Suffering
- Fire Uvalde Police Who Stood Around For 40 Minutes While Children Were Dying
- Tell Trader Joe’s to Ditch the Plastic Packaging
- Pass The New York Deforestation-Free Procurement Act
- Tell Congress to Implement a National Red Flag Law
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!