Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The exact origin of coronavirus, which is currently sweeping the world, is not clear. Scientists have said they believe it might come from the consumption of pangolins, some people say bats, and others say snakes. But one thing is clear — it’s a zoonotic disease that emerged from consuming animals. And before cultural differences or prejudice causes anyone to think it’s the fault of people who eat different animals than you’re accustomed to, please note that 3 out of every 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people come from animals, according to the CDC.
The border area where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet is called the “Golden Triange.” It is ground zero for wildlife trafficking.
Wildlife trafficking is horrible for animals. They are stolen from the wild, transported and kept in cramped, unhygienic conditions, and then slaughtered in horrific ways. Yet, one-fifth of vertebrates on land are affected by the wildlife trade, much of which is illegal. The pangolin, one of the animals blamed for the spread of coronavirus, is critically endangered and one of the most highly trafficked animals. Wildlife is being driven to extinction by this trade.
As this petition states, “coronavirus did not stay within China’s borders, and neither should the ban on the horrific wildlife trade.”
Sign this petition calling for a ban on all wildlife markets in the the “Golden Triangle,” including Myanmar, Thailand, and Laos!
- Save the Highly Trafficked, Critically Endangered Pangolins
- Stop the Wildlife Trade
- Support the Wildlife Conservation and Anti-Trafficking Act
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!