Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The chimpanzee lived with the family for 17 years in northeast Oregon and attacked the owner’s 50-year old daughter after escaping from the outdoor cage, authorities shared. The daughter was taken to the hospital and treated for bites on her arms, legs, and torso.
“It’s extremely sad,” Umatilla County Sheriff’s Lt. Sterrin Ward said to NBC News, “and tragic is the best word I could come up with.”
“Send more than one because … if the ape gets the drop on him, he’s gone, too,” Brogoitti told the dispatcher during the call, in a request for more deputies. “I’ve never seen anything like this. He’s got to be put down. We’re both locked in the basement and they have to do a head shot on the ape.”
“PETA warned state authorities that Tamara Brogoitti had created a ticking time bomb by engaging in direct contact with a dangerous ape, and now, he is dead and a woman has been mauled because of Brogoitti’s refusal to follow experts’ advice and transfer Buck to an accredited sanctuary,” Brittany Peet, an attorney for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said in a statement.
Sign this petition to tell the British legislature that they must ban primate pet ownership now!
- Man Takes Care of Emaciated Chimps Abandoned After Being Animal-Tested on an Island in Liberia
- Heartwarming Video of Chimpanzees Enjoying their New Sanctuary Home After Decades of Being Used for Experimentation
- Victory! Former Laboratory Chimps Freed to Sanctuary After Years-Long Legal Battle
- Florida Man Charged After His Leopard Bit a Visitor’s Head
- Here’s Why Exotic Animals Belong in the Wild, Not as ‘Pets’ in Our Backyards
- There Are More Tigers in Backyards Than the Wild – This Action Could Change That
- Shocking Photos Show How Wild Animals Get Captured for the Exotic Pet Trade
- Think Owning an Exotic Pet is a Good Idea? Here’s Why It’s Not
- Why These 5 Wild Animals Should Never be Kept as Pets
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!