A North Toledo, Ohio woman was sentenced by a judge for the treatment of her dog, Bogey. She was convicted of starving her dog to the brink of death and the judge handed down the maximum sentence, according to the Toledo Blade.
Ashley Roderick pleaded guilty to starving the dog. “Bogey would have been better off wandering the street, eating from Dumpsters, than he was in your care — or, quite frankly, lack thereof,” Judge Lindsay Navarre said during the sentencing hearing. The judge noted that Bogey was found on a “urine-soaked” pillow when he was taken from Roderick’s care.
The misdemeanor charge was handed down after Bogey was rescued by a local organization, Lucas County Pit Crew. He weighed only 18 pounds when he was moved from Roderick’s care. “The suffering that he has gone through was completely unnecessary and people need to realize there are consequences to doing that to someone else,” Jean Keating, the executive director of the Lucas County Pit Crew, said in January.
Bogey recovered well after he was rescued by the Pit Crew. Bogey’s injuries were devastating, according to Keating, “I’ve never seen it before, honestly. For the pit crew, we’ve taken in hundreds of animals with horrific injuries, others that have been intentionally starved and things like that, never seen it before.”
- Man Adopted Two Sweet Dogs Only to Leave Them to Starve to Death in his Home
- Rescuers Give a Desperate, Homeless Mother Dog and Her Newborn Puppies a Second Chance at Life (VIDEO)
- 10 Survival Stories of Dogs Who Overcame Horrific Abuse and Learned to Love Again
- After Spending Years on a Chain, Abused Dog Tastes His First Treat and Picks Out His Very First Toy (PHOTOS)
- Dog Who Had Been Attacked and Abused for Years Mustered Up All Her Strength to Crawl to Someone for Help
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!