“This is a transformational win for chickens. No animals—including farm animals—deserve to be confined in cages so tiny they can barely move,” said Josh Balk, vice president of farm animal protection for the Humane Society of the United States. “I’m grateful for Assemblyman Howard Watts for sponsoring the bill and speaking out so passionately for its passage. And I’m thankful for Gov. Sisolak signing this bi-partisan legislation into law, guaranteeing millions of chickens will never have to suffer in a cage.”
The law also bans caging of egg-laying chickens in the state and requires perches, dust-bathing areas and nests for egg-laying hens. Nevada follows eight other states in the cage ban, following Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Colorado, California, and Massachusetts.
Sign this petition to demand that the UK’s Department for Environment, Food, and Rural Affairs (Defra) pass new, stricter regulations for the transport of live chickens!
Hens in caged environments have little space and undergo psychological and physical harm while in caged environments. Read more about eggs and chicken treatment in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- Vegan Eggs Outsell Real Eggs
- Report Reveals Names of Companies Failing to Deliver on Cage-Free Commitments
- Colorado’s New Law Will Protect Chickens by Only Allowing the Sale of Cage-Free Eggs
- You Will Never Eat Eggs Again After Reading This
- Is There Really Such a Thing as an Ethical Egg? The Hidden Cruelty Involved in All Egg Production
- This Scorecard Will Show You Where the Largest Food Companies Stand on their Animal Welfare Standards
- Costco’s New Slaughterhouse for Chickens
- How to Egg Industry Harms Hens
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!