Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
As any feline lover will tell you, their cat is one of their best friends. They are always hanging out in their cat tree, looking out the window or sweetly lounging across your nap while you binge on the latest Netflix show. Even when they wander around the house in the middle of the night, purring really loudly, you still adore your cat unconditionally. Cat lovers will do anything to make sure their BFF is comfortable. So if you have some old materials lying around, you can easily make a cute upcycled cat bed for your furry friend to curl up in – take a look!
1. Suitcase Bed
These upcycled vintage pet beds from DIY Blondie are super adorable. You can easily pick up a suitcase from your local antique or thrift store and turn it into a cozy napping spot by adding a soft pillow on the inside and matching the fabric. Your cat will definitely appreciate it!
2. Computer Cat Bed
That’s right! You can make a cat bed out of a computer. If you have an old computer monitor, separate the front from the back and remove all of the internal parts. Make sure to recycle whatever you can! Then attach the front and back together again, insert your feline’s favorite bedding and viola! A cat bed.
3. Rope Bowl Cat Bed
Lia Griffth offers a great tutorial on how to make a cat bed out of cotton rope. You do need a sewing machine for this one, but it’s a very easy bed to make if you know how to sew! Plus, this cat bed is designed to be a bowl shape so your cat can really curl up inside if they want to.
4. Sweater Bed
Got an old winter sweater? You can easily turn a sweater into a cat bed! This way if you have a cat that loves to sit on your clothes, you might as well take an old sweater and make their very own bed. In this video, Ellie Jay gives a step by step tutorial by using a sweater, stuffing, and a sewing machine. When you’re away from the house, your cat will be able to be “with” you by curling up on to your sweater!
5. Cat Tent Bed
Cats are curious creatures and love to jump into just about anything they can. The Internet isn’t obsessed with cats and boxes for no reason. ErinsAnimals breaks down how to make a DIY cat tent and we have to be honest, this is super adorable. You can put a towel or a pillow inside and this cat tent can double as a playtime or a sleeping nook!
There are tons of ways to get creative and make the most of what you have on hand. And let’s be honest, it’s entirely possible that you could get a box from a recent order and your cat will prefer that over the cat bed you worked so hard on. Or maybe they would prefer the dog bed over their own cat bed. That’s a cat for you!
Regardless, making an upcycled cat bed is a great way to unleash your crafty side, all while making something for your furry friend.
Have you ever made an upcycled cat bed? Share in the comments what you made and how the project went! For more tips on how to keep your cat happy and healthy, click here.
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based Recipe app on the App Store to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion Pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that are raising awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, Donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!