Lynda Sugasa, executive director of the Safe Haven Wildlife Sanctuary, is having a hard time buying food to feed a variety of bigs cats that live at the sanctuary.
“The shelves have been getting emptied out by panicked buying; we have no more donations. Our costs have gone up to pretty much $4,000 per month, which is a huge hike,” Sugasa told the Reno Gazette Journal.
Lions, tigers, and cougars depend on raw meat to survive. While Sugasa estimates a two-week supply on-site, once that runs out her costs will spike, “There is no substitute for their diets, they have to have a raw meat diet. That has created a huge emergency for us.”
Carcases aren’t an option for their staff because they lack butchers. Sugasa puts the health of the animals first and won’t accept roadkill or other unknown meats. She’s also worried about revenue with new rules in place about crowds and social distancing.
Mark Robison, a consultant for Humane Network, is worried about the sanctuary. Many of the animals on site have been rescued from abusive facilities and now enjoy safe, happy shelters where they can run and play at full speed. Robison said, “There are so few places that have the space and expertise to allow these animals to be themselves. If one were to go away it is a huge hole in the safety net for … these exotic animals.”
You can donate to help Safe Haven Wildlife here.
Scientists believe that the spread of COVID-19, or coronavirus, started at an exotic animal market in Wuhan, China. You can help stop the incidence of viruses like these by signing this petition to ban the wildlife trade.
Eating more plant-based foods is known to help with chronic inflammation, heart health, mental wellbeing, fitness goals, nutritional needs, allergies, gut health and more! Dairy consumption also has been linked to many health problems, including acne, hormonal imbalance, cancer, prostate cancer and has many side effects.
Interested in joining the dairy-free and meatless train? We highly recommend downloading the Food Monster App — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest plant-based recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! And, while you are at it, we encourage you to also learn about the environmental and health benefits of a plant-based diet.
- Weekly Vegan Meal Plans
- Plant-Based Health Resources
- Plant-Based Food & Recipes
- Plant-Based Nutrition Resources
- The Ultimate Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition
- Budget-Friendly Plant-Based Recipes
- High Protein Plant-Based Recipes
- Plant-Based Meal Prep
Catch up on our coronavirus coverage in One Green Planet, check out these articles:
- How Coronavirus and the Wildlife Trade are Linked
- Coronavirus Update: How Emerging Diseases are Linked to Factory Farms
- Coronavirus Update: Death Toll Surpasses SARS
- Coronavirus Update: Quarantined Patients Given Turtles for Dinner In Spite of Virus Being Linked to Wild Animal Trade!
- Coronavirus Update: Pangolins Blamed for Spreading Virus
- Chinese Citizens Being Ordered to Dispose of Pets Despite Any Connection with Coronavirus Outbreak
- Coronavirus Update: Your Pets are Not in Danger
- China Acts on Coronavirus and Temporarily Bans Wildlife Trade
- Coronavirus Update: Chinese Citizens Begin Disposing of Pets, Footage of Corpses Lining Street
- Coronavirus Update: Indonesians Called to Stop Eating Bats and Animal Activists Saving Pets in China
- Coronavirus Update: World Global Emissions Have Dropped
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!