Last year, a total of 277 manatees were reported dead. The high for 2021 is already exceeded the five-year average, as well as significantly passed the previous year’s average.
Many of the deaths were reported in Brevard and Broward counties, the FWC report said. The loss of habitat is contributing to the decline of manatees, TC Palm reported that biologists shared.
Patrick Rose, an executive director of the Save the Manatee Club, told the Tampa Bay Times that manatees have lost muscle, not only fat, “It is a persistent, gnawing hunger, and it also weakens their ability to go about their normal physical activities,” he said. “They probably made many forays in places trying to find food where it traditionally was. It is not a pleasant thing.”
Molly Lippincott, animal care manager for ZooTampa at Lowry Park told Phys.org, “We’re just having a lot more issues environmentally, because there’s such a large number of people that live here now.”
Sign this petition to urge Florida lawmakers to pass laws to protect clean water and reduce greenhouse gas emissions before things get worse. Manatees and other marine animals need their habitats to be protected!
- What Our Global Plastic Addiction Has to do With the Death of a 3-Month-Old Manatee in Florida
- Orphan Manatee Found With Plastic Bags in His Stomach Will Inspire You to Ditch Disposables
- New Whale Species that Washed Ashore in Florida is Already Endangered
- Plastic Pollution Critical Threat to Florida Sea Turtles
- Someone Scratched “Trump” Onto a Manatee in Florida
- Scientists Report Florida’s Coral Reef in “Dire” Position
- Marine Life Harmed Most By Plastic In Florida Than Any Other State
- Manatees and Dolphins Are Dying at Terrifying Rates in Florida – Help Stop Algae Bloom That’s Killing Precious Animals!
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!