Jonathan Balcombe is a prominent author, speaker, scientist, and leader in the Animal Studies space.
Dr. Balcombe was born in England and raised in New Zealand and Canada. He studied biology in Canada before earning a PhD in ethology (animal behavior) from the University of Tennessee.
Dr. Balcombe is the Animal Studies Department Chair for Humane Society University, and the author of three popular books on animals: Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good (2006), Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals (2010), and The Exultant Ark: A Pictorial Tour of Animal Pleasure (May 2011).
Dr. Balcome has also published an excellent collection of articles on One Green Planet. His writings describe the surprising (and often touching) life of animals, and advocate for respectful treatment of all beings. Be sure to check them out!
- In Awe of the Wren: One of Nature’s Many Miracles
- The Honey Bee: Queen of Surprises
- Animals: Not Savage Beasts but Valiant Pleasure-Seekers
- Seeking Action in “Clean Green” New Zealand
- The Animal Power of Video
- It’s Time to Replace Animals in Harmful, Painful Experiments
- News That Gets it Wrong on Animals