The study collected data from 3,000 shark dives and looked at the behavior of 91 sharks. The research found that sharks show preferences for certain individuals and avoid interacting with other sharks.
Shark expert Juerg Bunnschweiler told NPR of the social interaction of the sharks, “If we see certain pairs or group of individuals, they show up together with the same specimen, then you could say that there’s something going on. They maybe move around together, or it’s not random.”
Using statistical data the researchers looked for data that wasn’t explained by chance or feeding habits.
“Bull sharks cannot be considered a social species like marine mammals or other terrestrial species, such as elephants or chimpanzees. However, it seems that some individuals are capable of developing preferred co-occurrences or affinities (and avoidances) with some individuals,” Dr. Thibaut Bouveroux, a post-doctoral researcher from the Dauphin Island Sea Lab in the United States and lead author of the study, said.
Sign this petition to demand Ireland passes the bill amending the Wildlife Act that would give basking sharks additional protections!
- 7 Alarming Facts About the Shark Fin Trade
- Squalene: How Sharks are Killed to Extract this Oil from Their Liver to Make Daily Products and Supplements
- Shark Fin Sales Elimination Act Reintroduced in Congress
- Half Million Sharks Could be Killed for the Coronavirus Vaccine
- 10 Amazing Videos of Ocean Conservationists Interacting with Sharks
- The Terrifying Truth: Our Future is Tied to the Future of Sharks
- NY Man Arrested for Keeping Sharks in Basement
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!