Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
The Oslo District Court has officially banned the breeding of two kinds of dogs: English bulldogs and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The court claims that the act of breeding these dogs is cruel and results in man-made health problems for the animals. Therefore, it breaches the country’s Animal Welfare Act.
Animal Protection Norway’s CEO, Åshild Roaldset, said, “This is first and foremost a victory for our dogs, and for us at Animal Protection Norway. It is a historic verdict that attracts international attention. The man-made health problems of the bulldog have been known since the early 20th century. But dogs have the right to be bred healthy. Now we have the wording in the law after the Oslo District Court ruled that dogs must be bred healthy. In the last 50 years, there has been a rapid technological and scientific development in breeding. In Norway, we have the infrastructure and technology to be able to achieve good, scientifically based breeding work.”
The science showed the breathing issues that English Bulldogs face because of their flat faces. Cavalier King Charles Spaniels also suffer from heart defects, headaches, and various other health concerns.
Norway is not entirely banning the breeding of these dogs. Some breeders are allowed to continue if their breeding is done in the effort to breed healthier dogs. However, activists have pointed out that due to how these dogs are bred and inbred, it would be nearly impossible to improve their health.
- Why Breeding Pets Is Irresponsible. Period.
- Dog Breeders are Selling Unwanted Puppies to Animal Testing Labs
- The Truth Behind Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders
- 5 Common Illnesses That Occur in Puppy Mill Dogs and Why You Should ALWAYS Adopt
- This Mama Dog Was Rescued From a Puppy Mill … Only to be Resold to Another Breeder
- 10 Heartbreaking Ways Breeders Cause Life-Threatening Harm to Purebred Dogs by Inbreeding
- Listen Up! These 6 Puppies Have a Message for You About Puppy Mills
- Every Dog Lover Should Read This! An Inside Look Into The Dark Walls of Puppy Mills
- Why Breeding Dogs is a Problem, Even if the Breeder is ‘Reputable’
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily. Subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!