Animal rights activists are up in arms after a five-start resort in Thailand used a baby elephant as a party “prop.” The photo has been removed from the Mövenpick Resort Bangtao Beach hotel in Phuket. In the photo, the elephant is by the side of the pool surrounded by guests including children. The resort’s TripAdvisor page shows an example of the baby elephant at a pool.
According to Metro UK, the elephant was brought by a guest for use at a private event. Animal rights activist Amy Jones, from the group Moving Animals, said, “Elephants are sensitive, intelligent animals, not products to be used as a ridiculous party prop. Mövenpick Resort Bangtao Beach should not be promoting and supporting such cruelty, and this stunt will undoubtedly be bad for business as more and more tourists turn away from activities which exploit elephants. No elephant should have to suffer from this kind of abuse, and Phuket must take steps to make sure that these beautiful animals are protected.”
Accor Hotel Group, which owns the resort, gave a statement to Metro UK which included an apology, “We sincerely apologise for this incident and are committed to doing better in the future to raise awareness of the importance of treating all creatures in an ethical way.”
The photo has been posted by other organizations, see it below:
Asian elephants are endangered and currently still part of a harmful tourism industry in Thailand. You can sign this petition standing up against the exploitation of elephants in Thailand’s tourism industry.
Learn more about elephants in Thailand in One Green Planet with the following articles:
- Elephant Artists? Here’s Why Making an Elephant Paint is Cruel, Not Cute
- An Entire Thai Village is in the Business of Mercilessly Training Elephants for Captivity
- Are You Supporting an Elephant ‘Sanctuary’ That Is Actually Causing Suffering?
- Elephants Found Distressed and Mistreated at Maesa Elephant Camp in Thailand
Read more below to learn about how animals are abused for entertainment and why this extremely inhumane:
- Kendall Jenner Kneeling on Back of Horse for Halloween Fashion Photo is Disgraceful
- Jason Momoa Recklessly Feeds Cookie to a Bear from his Mouth as Publicity Stunt to Promote Movie
- The Do’s and Don’ts: Your Handy Guide To Animal Entertainment
- Horrifying Video of Monkey Dressed Like a Little Girl and Begging Shows Why Animals Don’t Belong as Entertainment
- Animals Who Escaped Captivity and What They Teach Us About the Consequences of Entertainment
- BREAKING: Los Angeles Bans Use of Wild Animals for Entertainment!
- How We’ve Manipulated Animals for Entertainment
- Empty the Cages! How We’re Fighting for the Freedom of Animals Used for Entertainment
- Booking.com No Longer Sells Tickets to Captive Animal Attractions!
- Champion Horse Trainer Charged With Animal Cruelty Shows Horse Racing is Indeed a Cruel Sport
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!