Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.
Gus, the brave Goldendoodle, was swimming in the St. Croix River when he came across this tiny young River Otter struggling to survive. The otter was much too young to be in the water – he should still be in the den with its mom. Having no idea where the den is or how far the little guy traveled, says Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota (WRC).
Source: WCCO – CBS Minnesota/Youtube
It was revealed that the Goldendoodle has cancer, and doctors had to amputate one of his back legs to remove a tumor, says Eco Watch. Despite his challenges, this didn’t stop Gus from jumping into the freezing Minnesota river and swimming 50 feet to rescue the baby otter.
“First time swimming with three legs and he comes out of the water with a baby otter in his mouth!” Ella Hammerstrand, the granddaughter of Gus’s owners, told Fox 9. When Gus finally got out of the water, he proudly dropped the otter at Ella’s feet, WCCO reported.
We were quite concerned the first 36 hours – he was cold to the touch at admit and we didn’t know if he’d aspirated water, which could result in pneumonia. The otter turned the corner the other day and is doing well, said the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota (WRC) in a Facebook post.
“Kudos to Gus, and his wonderful owners Cleo and John, for saving this young otter’s life,” the WRC said in a Facebook post.
“I think he (Gus) knew the otter was hurting and something was wrong. He definitely got a lot of treats afterwards,” Ella told Fox 9.
- An Atlanta dog needed more than $1,000 in surgeries. A NYC rescue helped
- Heartwarming reunion of Husky with owner after violence in Bucha
- Woman Reunites With Missing Dog Thanks to Kind Stranger Who Transported Pup 500 Miles
- Lost Dog Reunited with Owner After Three Years Can’t Contain Her Excitement!
- Dog Reunited with Family After Being Separated in Home Explosion
- Stolen Dog Reunited with Owner After a Year Apart
- Sick Pup Abandoned by Cruel Humans Who Removed His Microchip Finally Gets a Happy Ending (VIDEO)
- Senior Dog With a Microchip Found on the Streets, But Her Family’s Response Was Heartbreaking
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy!
Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!