Greyhounds continue to be endangered while racing in Australia. A new report by the Coalition for the Protection of Greyhounds (CPG) found that almost 10,000 greyhounds were injured in track-related injuries and over 200 died.
The report, Lethal Tracks 2020: A report on track-related deaths and injuries, is yet more data to prove this sport needs to end.
“The cruel reality of greyhound racing is exposed by the industry’s own data. In Victoria where it was the worst in 2020, ten greyhounds were killed or injured every day there, reflecting the state’s high volume of racing,” said Dennis Anderson, CPG president in an emailed statement, “The only way to stop the suffering of these beautiful dogs is to ban greyhound racing. Until that happens, the industry should act on what it’s own research recommended in 2017, that six-dog races and straight tracks are safer alternatives. It hasn’t taken action because it would reduce revenue.”
CPG data found that:
– 77 percent of greyhound fatal injuries were sustained at track turns,
– 87 percent of fatalities involved dogs with fractured legs and resulted in euthanasia by the on-track vet,
– 83 percent occurred in races with seven or eight dogs
Dogs are also in danger once they’ve completed their racing careers. According to Anderson, “We’ve also noticed a new trend for dogs with major injuries being removed from the track and euthanised offsite, so official death rates can be reduced. When this doesn’t involve an industry recovery or rebate program, it will cause further public outrage. We put the industry on notice about this practice.”
To learn more about the cruel greyhound racing industry, read Greyhound Racing is Anything but Fun for the Dogs and 4 Facts About the Lives of Greyhounds in the Racing Industry.
Sign these petitions speaking up against greyhound racing:
- Save Greyhounds from Dying for the Racing Industry
- Urge Groupon to Stop Promoting Greyhound Racing
- Stop Exporting Greyhounds to China
- Ban Greyhound Racing in Ireland
- Animal Activists Stand Against $72 Million Coronavirus Relief Budget for Horse and Greyhound Racing in Australia
- 450 Former Racing Greyhounds Need Homes After Alabama Race Track Closes Due to Pandemic
- Greyhounds Shouldn’t be Racing: A Sport Which Requires Dogs to Die or Be Seriously Injured
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on iTunes — with over 15,000 delicious recipes it is the largest meatless, vegan and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!