The report delves into federal and state inspection records of animal suffering, consumer reports, and documented undercover footage. The report highlights dogs’ suffering across the country and shows numerous animal welfare violations.
The list includes Mannings Kennels (AR), K-Bar Kennel (GA), The Puppy Patch (IL), Kuntry Lane Kennel (IN), Furkids (IA), Creek Side Kennel (KS), Sharon (Sherri) M. Richards (KY), Viking Silver Labs (MN), Beauchamp’s Puppy World (MO), Carroll Sell Farms (NE), Hudson Labradoodles (NY), Lone Pine Kennel (OH), Pennsupreme Puppies (PA), Queen Elizabeth Pocket Beagles and Bears (TN), Maltese Acres (TX), and Pawfect Paws (WI). You can read about them and take a look at the others in the report.
“While the USDA paused many of their in-person inspections during the pandemic, dogs were left more at risk than ever,” said John Goodwin, senior director of the Humane Society of the United States’ Stop Puppy Mills campaign in a statement. “Public records and our undercover work show that Petland and other pet stores continue to buy from commercial breeding operations where dogs languish in miserable conditions.”
Dozens of pet stores purchased puppies from these dealers, which are located across the United States.
Breeders and puppy mills often keep the dogs in tiny wire and wood cages that hardly allow any room for movement. Their cages are unsanitary, often getting caked in excrement. In some cases, animals are kept out year-round in all types of weather. In others, animals are kept in dark basements where they will never get to see the light of day or breathe fresh air. They are denied exercise, proper grooming, veterinary care, and socialization, which in combination with their unsanitary living conditions, makes for poor mental and physical health. Sadly, when the overbred mother dogs can no longer reproduce, breeders usually kill or abandon them.
Sign this petition to support a nationwide ban on the sale of puppy mill animals at pet stores.
- Humane Society Releases Annual List of 100 Puppy Mills Operating in the U.S.
- Puppy Mill Pipeline Bill: This Reintroduced New York Legislation Could Protect Puppies, Kittens and Rabbits
- 5 Common Illnesses That Occur in Puppy Mill Dogs and Why You Should ALWAYS Adopt
- Every Dog Lover Should Read This! An Inside Look Into The Dark Walls of Puppy Mills
- Petition: Ban Puppy Mills in the United States!
- Victory! NYC Pet Store Hit with $4 Million in Fines After Abusing and Selling Sick Puppies
- The Truth Behind Puppy Mills and Backyard Breeders
- 10 Heartbreaking Ways Breeders Cause Life-Threatening Harm to Purebred Dogs by Inbreeding
- Why Breeding Dogs is a Problem, Even if the Breeder is ‘Reputable’
- Puppy Mill Law Put into Place in Chicago
- The Puppy Protection Act Will Protect Puppies in Puppy Mills
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!